News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

60 cad intake manifold

Started by mikecad57, April 07, 2009, 01:02:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikecad57

ON THE FRONT OF A 60 CAD INTAKE MANIFOLD THERE IS A VACUUM PORT WITH A BALL CHECK VALVE. dOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THIS IS USED FOR? i HAVE THIS MANIFOLD ON A 58 365 ENGINE & i NEED TO KNOW WHERE TO RUN LINE FOR VAC ADV FOR DISTRIBUTOR. ANY HELP THANX mIKE

Walter Youshock

The vacuum advance port should be on the carburetor.  There is a brass fitting for, I think, a 3/8" metal line.

The one on the manifold was for the wipers.  That line should be 1/4".  BOTH lines turn down and run UNDER the intake manifold.  The one for the wipers runs through a bracket on the rear right side of the intake on the large rear mounting bolt.

I'll try to get some photos.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Coupe

The port with check valve is for vacuum to the brake booster.
1957 Coupe de Ville
1962 Sedan de Ville (4 window)
1993 Allante
1938 Chevrolet Business Coupe (Sold)
1949 Jeepster VJ-2

Walter Youshock

Paul,

On your '57, is your brake booster bort on the back of the carb or does it come right out of the intake manifold?  I've seen both types, but there doesn't seem to be any breakdown as to when they used one or the other in production.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Coupe

Mine comes right out of the manifold in front of the carburetor. If I remember correctly it is on the runner to #1. Also going from memory, the port for the vacuum advance comes off the top of the manifold in front of the carb and runs under the manifold back to the distributor. If carburetors make the difference I have a Rochester 4GC on mine.
1957 Coupe de Ville
1993 Allante
1949 Jeepster VJ-2

Walter Youshock

I have both a Rochester and a Carter.  On the throttle plate, you should have a rather large brass plug in the back.  That's where my booster port is.

As for the advance, that comes from the front right side on the Rochester and on the right between the first and second intake ports.  My wiper port is on the top center in front of the carb--a 90 degree brass fitting that the line screws into.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Coupe

Walter, you are cotrrect regarding the wiper and advance ports. I dug out my notes and pics from tear down and found a very good picture of the booster and wiper ports but my scan was too large to attach. Apparently this pic was still on a floppy disc and I do not have a floppy drive anymore. I found the attached pic on a CD that shows the booster port between the fuel filter and the power steering return line.
1957 Coupe de Ville
1993 Allante
1949 Jeepster VJ-2

mikecad57

Quote from: mikecad57 on April 07, 2009, 01:02:22 PM
ON THE FRONT OF A 60 CAD INTAKE MANIFOLD THERE IS A VACUUM PORT WITH A BALL CHECK VALVE. dOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THIS IS USED FOR? i HAVE THIS MANIFOLD ON A 58 365 ENGINE & i NEED TO KNOW WHERE TO RUN LINE FOR VAC ADV FOR DISTRIBUTOR. ANY HELP THANX mIKE
I guess I need to be a little more descriptive . In front of the Carter carb (60 Cad) there is a small 1/8" tubing that curves downward out of a larger fitting. You would not know that this fitting has a check ball in it unless you took it apart. It's way too small for the power brake booster. I don't think I can use this port for the vac. adv. because of the check ball. thanks for the feed back MIke

Walter Youshock

The advance line should still come off the carb, not the manifold.  I can't imagine what the other port was used for.

You have a '60 manifold on a '58?  '58's had vacuum wipers (last year).
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Dan Marinola

The port in question had a vacuum line attached to it that goes to the heater defroster lever under the dash. It is used to operate the bellows for the heater and if so equipped the A/C bellows on an air conditioned car. This would be for a 1959/1960 car. I dont know what or where it would be used on a 1958,but possibly the same thing.
Daniel P. Marinola

paul

Dan is correct. I have only seen this on 59 60 cars. There isi a thin vaccume line that goes to the heater defroster. On non ac cars there is a bellows on the front of the heater box under the hood.

mikecad57

Quote from: Dan Marinola on April 09, 2009, 11:11:37 AM
The port in question had a vacuum line attached to it that goes to the heater defroster lever under the dash. It is used to operate the bellows for the heater and if so equipped the A/C bellows on an air conditioned car. This would be for a 1959/1960 car. I dont know what or where it would be used on a 1958,but possibly the same thing.
dan / paul  thanks for clearing up the mystery check valve , now for my next question where should I hook up my vac adv for distributor? On my old manifold The 58 the metal tube went under manifold from in front of carb to the dist. with this one I can either go from rear of manifold or do away with check valve & go in at that location .

Walter Youshock

No.  The vacuum advance line was on the carburetor--not the intake manifold.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

paul

walter is correct it is routed like your 58 under the manifold and connects to a female brass fitting on the carb.

Tony472

The smalll line from front of the manifold on a 1960 car supplies A/C and vacuum release of parking brake !

59-in-pieces

Second try - diagram too large to attach

Mike,
What is a 60 manifold doing on a 58.

The previous comments seem to be directed at how the 60 manifold had ports or not that some how match the needs of the 58 - and the simplest answer is that they don't.

But to answer the first question, see the diagram below and you will see the vacuum fitting with the check valve at the right front of the 59/60 manifold is for the A/C & heating - not the brake booster or the distributor.

Hope this helps.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Dan LeBlanc

This topic is over 9 years old.  I'm pretty sure this has been sorted out by now - most of the respondents in this thread are not even forum members anymore.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

59-in-pieces

Dan,
Thanks for the head's up.

I feel foolish.
No good deed goes unpunished.

Have fun,
Steve B.

PS
How do these posts get resurrected.
S. Butcher

35-709

Often get resurrected by new folks researching past posts looking for information, advice, or parts.  Or, as seems to be the case here, to give advice.   ;D
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

59-in-pieces

35-709 (with no first name),
So, Tony is the first helpful culprit; and, I'm the nearsighted sheep.
Who said this forum isn't loaded with helpful folks - even if the responses go out to years old echos.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher