News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

V 12/16 cylinder heads does anyone know the torque required to tighten down

Started by Paul, April 09, 2009, 02:05:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul

Have to tighten down the heads on a Model 370 V 12 after an initial warming period, I have used a torque of 35 lbs/ft (4 Kgs) in assembling the engine  and intend to use this figure unless anyone has any info ? Best wishes to all  from the South of France!  

homeonprunehill

PAUL,torque the head bolts 1/4 of a turn LESS then the breaking point of the bolt. LOL...
Truthfuly I don't know the torque, but I THINK IT IS MORE then 35 lbs. someone will know the answer.HTH ,jim
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

35-709

There are no torque values of any kind listed in my '34/'35 Shop Manual.  Did they have torque wrenches back then?  There isn't even a tightening sequence given.  The manual merely states ---

".... securely tighten down the head.  Next start the engine and run it until it is hot, and once more tighten the cap screws, turning them down as tightly as possible without danger of stripping the threads", my emphasis.   ;D

As Jim suggests someone has come with torque values for those bolts and will chime in.  35 ft.lbs. doesn't sound like enough to me either.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

35-709

OK.  This is from a good friend at the Cadillac & LaSalle Club Modified Chapter who took the time to look up the following information which is available at the Modified Chapter.  It looks like 70/75 foot pounds is right.  Click on the link.  Read the information, there IS a tightening sequence (of sorts) for the V-12 & 16.

http://www.modifiedcadillac.org/documents/Multiple_Years/35-42%20Motors%20Specs/tn/35-42%20Motors%20Specs-11.jpg.html
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Johan Boltendal #158

After fitting the heads I gave the nuts a first 30 ft lbs with the wrench and then two times 60 degree, doing so eliminated the greased stud effect on the torque setting as well.
I had this setting tested in the vice and it comes to 70 ft lbs on a dry not oiled or greased 7/16 test rig, a torque test  came to an effective 85 ft lbs on greased studs, with a 70 ft lbs on the wrench, torque figures are dry set, but this tends to be forgotten a lot of times.
If you are not up to the degree setting, you should set  the torque wrench at 60 ft lbs at most, with the greased studs.
Johan