News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Non-Oxygenated fuels

Started by TJ Hopland, April 12, 2009, 04:44:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ Hopland

I have been told that according to federal law all of the motor fuel sold in the USA year round is required to be oxygenated which due to political issues means ethanol.  The people that told me that could not back it up with any details or proof.   My understanding is the Feds set a standard that the states must meet and its up to the states to figure out how best to meet that standard.  Less populated states obviously have less trouble meeting these standards than say a state like California which is why they usually have the most strict regulations.  I can find info dated APR 2009 from a large local car club that says there are a few places offering a non-oxy premium grade.  When they first went to the year round blends in my area in the early 90's groups like the one above went to the state and fought for an exception that allowed station owners to choose to sell the non oxy premium in the summer months. 

Anyone know the real story?   Links to official state or fed sites would be great.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Otto Skorzeny

Generally it's based on population. Large urban areas (like Atlanta) with lots of cars and air pollution have to meet the fuel mandates and clean air laws of the Feds so 10% ethanol  is required.

You can still buy non ethanol fuel in some rural areas but the fuel companies are beginning to do away with that mainly because of logistical reasons. Why make one kind of gas for Atlanta metro and another for south Georgia? It's cheaper and easier to ship a one size fits all to the state.

It's getting to be that way everywhere.

Here's some entertaining reading (NOT) : http://www.epa.gov/otaq/gasoline.htm  Knock yourself out.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

TJ Hopland

I had found that site but like all government stuff its not very clear or to the point.  Sounds like it is then in theory possible for the state to decide.   We also have a major pipeline coming in our area so maybe its not a big deal to mix up a batch of regular since its not that long of a trip. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason