News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

67 Fleetwood Eldorado recently out-of-Hibernation-BRAKES

Started by Matt CLC#18621, April 12, 2009, 05:43:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt CLC#18621

67 Fleetwood Eldorado recently came out of hibernation drove approximately 80 miles trouble free.  Week later, took for a spin, sounded like front brakes were disintegrating, that sound goes away after approximately 10 miles and then the left rear brake locks up and leaves large tire mark.  Pulled into empty parking lot, drove in revere and slammed on the brakes and all “APPEARS” to be OK!  Is this just from sitting for 5 months or is there a problem waiting to show its costly self?  The brakes and drums are six years young all around with less than 3,000 miles?

Thanks,

Matt
CLC# 18621

Ted in Olympia WA

Most likely okay but I would sure pull the drum and make sure it is.  You could have lost the spring or maybe it's leaking brake fuild.  Not much work to check it out.

TED
Selling used Eldorado Parts from 1971-1978.  Member Number 25659.

35-709

Brakes are nothing to fool with.  I would be pulling each and every one of those drums for a thorough inspection before driving the car again.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

J

good idea to check brake hoses too while checking everything else out.
Cadillac got me!!!

www.eldorado-seville.com

the lock up sounds like a typical symptom of a collapsed brake hose. A friend of mine had exactly the same issue.
Gerald Loidl
1958 Cadillac Eldorado Seville
1966 Cadillac Coupe deVille
1967 Cadillac DeVille
1967 Cadillac Fleetwood Eldorado
1974 Cadillac Coupe deVille
1978 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz
http://www.eldorado-seville.com
http://www.cadillac-bigmeet.com

Gunnar

yes, could be the hose. I had that happen once, the hose looked allright on the outside but there was some inner layer that collapsed and
acted like a one-way valve. I could apply the brakes but they would not release, they stuck and heated the wheel up to the point
where I could not even touch the hubcap. I read about this problem on this here great message board  ;D and told my friend, a very experienced
car guy, who had been trying to come up with a solution. He refused to believe the hose was faulty, because he couldn't "see"
anything wrong.
But we changed the hose, and voilá! The problem disappeared.
Gunnar S. Valdimarsson
CLC 24352
1964 Coupe de Ville

Ted in Olympia WA

This is a very common problem for Eldos on the front but I have not seen this on the rear.  Also on the rear it would effect both sides.

TED
Selling used Eldorado Parts from 1971-1978.  Member Number 25659.