News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

help opening 1941 hood

Started by Dan S, April 16, 2009, 10:53:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan S

Through pure brilliance, the hood ornament has disengaged with the rod that was tied to it for opening the hood.  Any suggestions on how gain access to the engine compartment?  

Thanks!
Dan

Bill Ingler #7799

Hi Dan: Since you say the rod has come loose from the hood ornament, then that might give you some vertical movement in the hood. IF you have some vertical movement, hopefully a couple of inches, hold open what you can by wedging a block of wood under the front of the hood. Then using a flashlight take a long open end wrench and loosen the bolt that is holding each of the two locking hooks in place. Those hooks are holding the short cross bar that is at the end of the rod that got diengaged.  You can see the locking hooks (AK) in the diagram below. Loosening those bolts should allow the hooks to move sideways enough to get the hood open. If this method of getting the hood open works then before you adjust the hooks and the rod again, take out the grill. Now you can adjust all you want to get a good opening and closing without the chance of an over adgustment of the rod preventing opening of the hood. Once you have a good adjustment, put the grill back in the car. Please post if you get the hood open and how. Not getting the hood open has to be one of a 41 owner`s worst nightmare`s.

Dan S

Thanks Bill.  Will give it a shot.

Dan

Dan S

Thanks again.  Got it open and fixed!

Dan

Bill Ingler #7799

Hi Dan: Glad you got it open. About the same time you made your initial posting about not getting your hood open I had a friend with a 41 who was also having a problem getting the hood open. Although it would open, it took a hard pull on the lady to get the hood unlatched. I gave him a copy of what I have posted below on adjustment. This is out of the 42 manual and works perfectly as the 42 uses the same latch assembly as the 41. I should have posted this adjustment procedure on my first reply to you. Adjusting the hood latch bar to 3/4 inch then moving the latch catch hooks all the way back, then bringing them forward a little at a time until you find the correct spot for the latch catch hooks, worked well for my friends 41.