News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1939 LaSalle Opera Coupe - How is exterior trim removed? (PIC)

Started by Aeroman (Juan Ramirez), April 17, 2009, 11:52:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aeroman (Juan Ramirez)

I would like to know how the 1/4" trim is safely removed? Thanks.

1939 LaSalle Opera Coupe

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

The first thing I would do is invest in a copy of the 1939 Fisher Body Book. It has lots of info in it. HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

homeonprunehill

Juan, I can't tell from your pictures what you mean.  Can you explain more. sorry I know this post isn't helpfull. Jim
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

Aeroman (Juan Ramirez)

Hi, sorry for the confusion.  I am missing the 1/4" chrome trim around the rear quarter windows and the rear windshield (also the front windshield and cowl trim).  Someone has the pieces still on a parts car and he was asking me how he can safely remove it without damaging it.

1939 LaSalle Opera Coupe

Aeroman (Juan Ramirez)

Quote from: Bob Hoffmann CLC#96 on April 17, 2009, 11:53:22 PM
The first thing I would do is invest in a copy of the 1939 Fisher Body Book. It has lots of info in it. HTH, Bob
Thanks for the tip.
1939 LaSalle Opera Coupe

Mike Simmons 938

Juan- It's many years since I took mine off, but looking at one, they appear to be a complete snap in assembly. They are held on by many TINY diamond-shaped spring clips. The same clips are used on most other GM cars that used the same Fisher body. In 1940, they increased the size of the clips a bit- and the 40 ones are occasionally available on eBay. Unfortunately, I have never found a source for the 39 version yet. So- when using a knife-blade or similar to pry the molding away from the body-SAVE ALL THE LITTLE CLIPS. That's for the 1/4 windows.
After removing the center stainless divider, and the interior moldings and glass-the windshield chrome (stainless?) channel is pried down away from the top of the windshield opening. and then all the way around each 1/2.
I imagine the  back glass stuff is somewhat the same, but right now, I can't remember how it came apart. Sorry 'bout that.

Jack Carroll

The photo you posted is my car. The best thing to do is call me and I can talk you through the
removal of the moldings and the problems I had and how I solved them.

It's easier than trying to do it via email

Jack Carroll
978-433-6257

Jack Carroll

I would follow Bob Hoffmann's recommendation and get a body manual. They are available from Coopers
818-567-4140

The windshield cross section drawing is fig.355 on pg.108
The rear window cross section drawing is fig.373 on pg. 115
The narrow door and quarter chrome molding drawing is fig.376 on pg. 116
The side cowl molding is held on with a clip and nut which assessable from inside the car
up under the dash (hard to get at with all the under dash stuff in the way)

Note: Be careful with the narrow side moldings they are brass and bend and get
distorted easily . I have and extra set if you need any.

Jack Carroll

Aeroman (Juan Ramirez)

Thanks Jack for the info...nice LaSalle by the way!  I'll call you soon.  Seems like the fella that wanted to sell the trim to me is backing out as he is ignoring my messages.
1939 LaSalle Opera Coupe

38FLATTIE

Juan,

I did not ignore your message- I sent you a pm on the other board! I stated that i was at work in North Dakota, and would not return home for another ten days, and that I would try and remove it then. If you can pick up a good set, that is never a bad idea.

Buddy
BUDDY WALKER
38 LASALLE COUPE
THE FLATCAD

Aeroman (Juan Ramirez)

Quote from: 38FLATTIE on May 01, 2009, 06:05:02 PM
Juan,

I did not ignore your message- I sent you a pm on the other board! I stated that i was at work in North Dakota, and would not return home for another ten days, and that I would try and remove it then. If you can pick up a good set, that is never a bad idea.

Buddy
Hey Buddy, you're right, you did say you were going to be away.  I thought that was 2-3 weeks ago.  Anyway, if you have them, let me know as I am still interested!
1939 LaSalle Opera Coupe