News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1979 CDV Questions...

Started by EdDougher, April 17, 2009, 09:06:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EdDougher

I have two relatively easy questions regarding a '79 Coupe de Ville.  First, my illuminated entry will not go out.  I'm assuming there's a sticky relay somewhere, but has anyone run into this problem?  Also, my blower motor only operates in the high speed setting, so I'm guessing that I need to replace the blower resistor.  Anyone know where it is on this car?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

bill henry

on a 78 the resistor goes thru the top of the air conditiong box under the hood and i have a spare resistor i will never use . i thought mine was bad but it turned out to be the rotary switch in the dash control head. same symptons as you have though
Bill Henry

TJ Hopland

If its the auto climate control system check the temp switch located on the head just behind the alternator.  It looks like a nut with a single contact wire on it.   It grounds the wire when the engine temp is high enough to run the heater.  For a test you can just use a jumper wire to ground it.   If you do need to replace the switch its a blind hole which means no oil or coolant will leak when you remove it.   Also make sure you get the correct one. There is an identical looking one on the back of the other head.  That one is for the stop engine temp light.  The stop engine one turns on at something like 250*F  The one for the heater is like 120*F so you can see if they get mixed up things dont work quite right.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

EdDougher

Thanks.  It is automatic climate control.  I don't believe it has anything to do with the heat.  The A/C works exactly as it should, except that the blower only comes on at the high setting.  If set to automatic, no blower other than at high speed.  On other cars I've had that did this, it was always the blower resistor, that's why I'm assuming....

Any ideas on the illuminated entry glitch?

bill henry

if it is the resistor you can hve the one i have cheap  but again my 78 had the same problem and it was the rotary switch. pm me if you want the resistor
Bill Henry

Tim Pawl CLC #4383

Regarding illuminated entry not going out....check fuse in fuse box marked "body"... We had a similar issue with a 1985 Eldorado. Turned out that a One cent penny, had somehow flipped out of front ashtray into the open adjacent cigarette lighter socket (used for cell phone charging, lighter itself had been taken out leaving socket open). This in turn blew the body fuse, which somehow then backfed voltage to the door domelight switches , basically reversing their operation,  illumination off with doors open, "On" with doors closed .