News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

73 CDV - neutral safety switch disintegrated

Started by nick.stratta, April 18, 2009, 06:41:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nick.stratta

Gents,

I went to get my '73 deVille out of the shed this evening for a charity car run with the kids tomorrow. I started it up backed it out parked it at an angle o/s the shed so I could put the daily in and it wouldn't start again. I thought it odd that I couldn't start it in Park but only in Drive last weekend when out for a drive and was the same again this evening.
Now the neutral safety switch has completely disintegrated on the carpet. I tried to put it back together but you can imagine - in the dark, no idea of what goes where. In the end I had to give up and tried to push it backwards so I could put it in the shed. I could move it about 2 feet and then no more. I think it is stuck in gear. Couldn't move it forwards or back. Moving the shift lever made no difference.

Had to throw a cover over it and leave it until Monday. Luckinly I could shut the shed!

Is there any way this can be put back together? There was a small triangular peice of plastic that fell out and triangular peice of copper with a pent end on it, and two very small springs.

So I think I need a complete switch, including the band that goes round the bottom of the steering column and I guess the wiring harness coming down the column just connects into it? Anyone have one or know where best to get one - in a hurry??  Does anyone (with a Hemmings?) know if they interchange with other vehcles?

I've also put a wanted post in the parts section. Apologies for doubling up.

thanks & best regards, Nick
regards & thanks Nick
CLC 23023, CLCMRC Museum benefactor 113

Guidematic

Pretty much the same thing happened to the switch on my '70, but it came apart when I tried to remove a connector.

So, I have been on a search for one for some time. They are not easy to come by, but if I remember right, this switch is the same from '73-'76. You might try a dealer and see if they can locate one. Finally I scored 2 of them at a local wreckers yesterday.

If not, the best bet is a wrecking yard, or maybe a post on the "for sale" forum may net you some luck.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69

TJ Hopland

I was able to put mine back together.  What broke on mine was little metal tabs that held the plastic section section to the metal part. I dont remember the details since it was 10 years ago but I seem to recall drilling a couple of small holes and using a nylon wire tie to hold it all together. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

mikecad57

call u.s.a. parts , 800 872 2013 they might have it in stock , tell them mike sent you from Hatfield , Pa.

Warren Rauch

These switches were changed during 1973.
  Delco D2218 (Cadillac # 1994137 ) fits 69-72 all Cadillac
                                                        1973 with T&T wheel
                                                        1973 without T&T wheel early production
Delco D2272 (Cadillac #1619258,1603618) fits 1973 without T&T wheel late Production
                                                                   1974-80 all Cadillac
   They only fit Cadillac .The break point was before serial numbers.Q 281141,Q 444741,E 383600 ..Warren

Gunnar

The 1976 switch is available at Rockauto, if you can use that model
Gunnar S. Valdimarsson
CLC 24352
1964 Coupe de Ville

Guidematic

I just scored 2 switches from 1970 Cadillacs in a local wreckers. I tore into them to clean and relube them and got some shots. Maybe this will help you if you wish to reassemble it.

Mike

nick.stratta

Mike,
Hi, thanks - seems like you ahve gone to a lot of work. Much appreciated.  I see now what part has fallen out on mine. It is the part that hangs down into the column.  I was trying to put it back in 90 degrees to the way it should go.
I see from Warren's post the switches changed in 73. Typical!  I'll check my VIN.  I have a tilt/ tele wheel.
I see the Rock Auto one (Airtex PN 1S5115) for the 76 deVille looks slightly dfifferent to the one above. it has a big red knob on it for one thing and I'm not sure what the connectors look like.  I'll see if I can short circuit the lockout wires and take mine off to see what it looks like.
Which wires do I short circuit? and do I do it in the harness coming down the column?
regards & thanks, Nick
regards & thanks Nick

The Tassie Devil(le)

The wires to connect together are the heavy Purple ones that connect to the two terminals on the far Left side.

REMEMBER that when you do this, you will be able to crank, and start the engine when the gear selector is in any position.   Many people have found out the hard way when their vehicle has hit a wall when starting and not having the selector in Park or Neutral.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

nick.stratta

Yup!, thanks Bruce. Better than not being able to start it at all!  Funnilly enough the weekend before last I could only start it in drive so somehting was obviously already working loose.
regards, Nick
regards & thanks Nick

Guidematic

Nick,

You're welcome. Really, I opened them up to clean and relube them. Also I was curious as to why two differant switches came of the same year car.

I tend to take a lot of pictures when I get into these things in case they may be helpful later on. Bruce knows, he likes pictures.

Mike