News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

cowl tag decode 1960 model

Started by Az Caddyman, April 18, 2009, 09:42:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Az Caddyman

Hi guys
nice site, a little new here so bare with me..
I picked up a 60 Caddy last week, and in the process of possibly
restoring it. I think its a Fleetwood.
With this pic of the cowl tag, can someone help me decode it etc
and tell me anything about the car ? Im new to the older models, sorry.
Dayle G

Tucson Az

Otto Skorzeny

Someone more knowlegable than I will have to help you on this one. 

Series 60 cars came in only one body style, designated 6039  for the 60 Special built by Fleetwood.

Your tag says 6029. This is not listed in my reference material. There is a 6229 and 6329 ( both 6w htp sdn), a 6929 (Eldo Brougham)

It would help if you told us what model you think it is. Is it a 4 door hardtop? My guess is that it's a 60 special. Don't know why it says 29 instead of 39

The color is Platinum Grey Iridescent.

fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Warren Rauch

The proper code for a 60S is 6029,so this is  a Sixty -Special (Fleetwood 60S).
The accessory codes E=easy eye glass (tinted), H=heater,K =air conditioned, and Y= 6 way power seat.
trim code 63= Locarno Blue Cardinal Cloth and Locarno Blue Florentine Leather
  Top code 14= Platinum Gray vicodec cloth
  Lower paint 14= Platinum Gray paint.

The "14 -140" on the paint code is what the above means I think. On the 1960 60s . the top could be either painted or vicodec cloth. Conv top codes were single digits. Vicodec tops used the paint code ( at least for ordering). A matching vicodec top could also be ordered by adding  a"0" as a suffex to the lower color, thence  140.
This may have caused confusion at the factory since some Brougham color codes ran from 110 to 152.(but 140 wasn't one of them) The optional specification Manual tells all. Warren

Otto Skorzeny

Why is it shown as 6039 in my books, I wonder? I suppose a mistake was made in print at some point and other reference materials just copied the original mistake?

That's good to know. It shows 6039 as the 60 special code for all years. I never knew it was wrong.

His tag says 14 - 14C not 14-140. What up with that?
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Az Caddyman

good idea, heres a pic
I was told it was a Fleetwood
Dayle G

Tucson Az

homeonprunehill

DEAR AZ, to start with, where in AZ do you hale from?     Judgeing from the data plate, it is FLEETWOOD body number 5170
Please post what it saids on the last two lines. Jim
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

Az Caddyman

Hi guys, Im actually in Tucson

anything cool about this model,  other then the obvious :)

Dayle G

Tucson Az

veesixteen

Definitely a "60 Special". The original paint was Platinum Gray metallic (you can't tell from the photo) and the trim was "Locarno Blue" nylon seat and seat back inserts with Florentine Blue leather bolsters.
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

Az Caddyman

are there production numbers breakdown on how many
60 Specials where built ?
Dayle G

Tucson Az

veesixteen

11,800 units.  You should have no difficulty finding a parts car if parts are needed.
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

Chris Conklin

I'm still kinda curious about the 14-14C designation on the paint. You'll see this redundancy of paint and top color on convertibles, but the "C" doesn't seem to belong. The only "C" I've found in my "bible" is an accessory code for cruise control, that shouldn't be designated as a trim item. It's not the first time an odd letter has shown up without explanation though.

Another item I noticed; There is no alpha-numeric that designates the build date on the tag. It's usually stamped above the word "STYLE" and it provides the month and week that the car was completed. I believe I've seen it on earlier models than this, so it would have been in practice at the time. But again, there is room for human error and omission - most likely by me!
Chris Conklin

Az Caddyman

I guess my next question is going to be more opinion
but as much as Id like to restore it, I dont want to get buried in it
either.
The engine was redone less then 5k miles ago, ac works
body is a rust free Az car. One small dent on the LF fender,
Needs paint and interior to be really
nice of course.
Dayle G

Tucson Az

homeonprunehill

AZ caddyman, Sounds like you want to be in the car right. consider sanding it yourself and remove the chrome and SStrim and let MACCO shoot the paint and take the dent out for you. There must be some uphoisty shops in Toson, az where you can have it done under buget. Jim P.S. Having the chrome replated and the

homeonprunehill

az,caddyman, Something wrong with this  &*() compurter  It post my reply piror to me being eady. I ment to say that the replating of the chome and polishing the SS trim will be your be expensive. Jim

Az Caddyman

Quote from: homeonprunehill on April 21, 2009, 12:41:12 AM
az,caddyman, Something wrong with this  &*() compurter  It post my reply piror to me being eady. I ment to say that the replating of the chome and polishing the SS trim will be your be expensive. Jim

keyboard malfunction ?
luckily, az cars have little to no problems with the metal
or stainless out here. Some 1500 wetdry and a some polish and
most stuff comes back like new in an afternoon :)
Tucson does have their share of upholstery shops, no doubt..
and paint, thinking Ill leave it as is, the patina is sorta cool  :)
Dayle G

Tucson Az

Chris Conklin

Hard to tell from one picture (please post or e-mail more, I'm nosey), but it seems to me you could have an excellent high-driver quality car for a pretty reasonable outlay of cash. By excellent driver I mean a car that dazzles the average person and attracts a lot of attention on the road and at the shows. The interior of this car is very impressive in the correct color and materials, in my opinion anyway. They made some fantastic patterned cloths for these cars.

Also, I rechecked my book on the trim - the vicodec roof covering was a standard feature on the Sixty Special.
Chris Conklin

Az Caddyman

Ill post more this weekend.
I have about 20 cars, its a revolving inventory, keep some for a while
and then let them loose to the next person to enjoy.
Im more into muscle cars and have some keepers, but I fell in love
with this car when I went to look at another car for sale, and ended
up buying this one.
All my stuff is very rust free Az sheetmetal which these days seems to
be getting harder to find.
Even some of the classic car junkyards here in Tucson have closed up
and sold their land, end result...hundreds of cars got crushed. Its a little sad.
Dayle G

Tucson Az