News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Replacing Rolls Royce Grill

Started by Rick Biarritz, April 19, 2009, 12:24:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Biarritz

I am looking at an 85 Eldorado Biarritz with a Phaeton grill on it.  What is involved in getting rid of this thing and putting on the correct grill.  I am HOPING that one simply unscrews the grill and the chrome top piece, (I assume they are separate) and then one simply screws/bolts on the two correct pieces.  Also, what does the correct grill cost, where does one get said grill, and are they easily found? 

I await your learned replies.

Rick Lynch

Eric S. Maypother #15104

Hi,
I've never toke 1 off an Eldorado but I took 1 off an 85 Seville which is about the same, and a few FWD devilles, RWD Fleetwoods, on the FWD's with a 2 piece setup almost always the bolt-studs on the top piece snap off when you go to un-bolt the nut because of rust, I'd soak them in WD-40 first and make sure I have the other pieces to put on before I'd remove 1, the bottom parts usually come off fairly easy. You could try eBay for the grille and hood piece unless someone on here has 1, then you can sell the rolls royce grille on eBay.
Eric :)
1990 Cadillac Brougham

76eldo

There is a chrome molding on the front of the hood, the grille, and 2 little side fillers that hide the attaching screws, painted body color.

If the RR hood cap was installed correctly, it had a plastic molding that keept it from scratching the paint on the hood.  There may be a line pressed into the paint though.

Ebay is a good source.  if your shell is nice, you can easily sell it on ebay.  The grille is stainless, which does not rust, but the hood cap is chromed, and usually not in great shape on a 23 year old car.

84 and 95 grilles are the same for sure,and possibly 83, but check before buying.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Rick Biarritz

Thanks for the tip.  Been looking for an Eldo (79-85).  Have spent hundreds of hours on the net of course, but still no luck.  Know anybody selling one?  Thanks.

Rick Biarritz

Thanks for the tip.  Been looking for an Eldo (79-85).  Have spent hundreds of hours on the net of course, but still no luck.  Know anybody selling one?  Thanks.

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

Quote from: Rick Biarritz on April 20, 2009, 10:19:57 AM
Rick, There are 23 '79-'85 Eldorados currently listed at www.autotraderclassics.com.

Rick Biarritz

Quote from: Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397 on April 20, 2009, 10:56:42 AM
Rick, There are 23 '79-'85 Eldorados currently listed at www.autotraderclassics.com.

Yes, I've spent almost every waking moment in the last two weeks on the web.  I've seen HUNDREDS of Eldo's.  Fate seems to be working against me.  I want a dark car, burgundy, black, dark blue, firemist, maybe a medium blue, with a leather interior of almost any color, except white or the washed out blue.  60k miles or less.  $4 - $6,000 range.  I have found MANY, MANY cars that are absolutely perfect, EXCEPT for one thing.  It's always one thing.  90% of the time, the problem is a white body or a white interior.  Both are deal killers, period, end of story.  Secondly, are all the people who want $10,000.  Sorry, but I've already tracked down 20 or 30 low mileage, pristine or nearly pristine Eldos for less than $6K.  Lastly, there are the perfect cars that are in California, three thousand fricking miles away.  $1,000 to ship or even more if I fly out and drive it back.  ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!  The heartbreak of bringing up the ad with the '85 burgundy biarritz, one owner, 45,000 miles, asking $5,000, only to scroll down and see the white interior!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I feel my anger growing just sitting here typing.  Oh well. 

Wynn Moore

Just as a comment, I really never understood the use of some of the after market "add ons", other then increasing profits for the dealers.  I really don't most really enhanced the looks of the cars, especially the so called Rolls Royce Grills, and after a few years many would start to show their age, unlike the factory grilles.

76eldo

Rick,

I have a lot of experience with these cars.  Do yourself a favor, and try to find a low mileage 79/80/81.

This way you will sidestep the HT4100 engine and related issues.

The 79 has an olds 350, the 80 has the Cadillac 368, and the 81 has the 368 with the V-8-6-4 setup, which can be disconnected, and it will function as a regular V8.

They are great looking cars, and I wish you luck.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Rick Biarritz

I'm with you -- the RR grill does nothing for me. 

Rick Biarritz

Ahhh, this is very helpful.  I've heard horror stories about the 4-6-8, but I didn't know it could simply be disconnected.  Is this a complex procedure?

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

Quote from: Rick Biarritz on April 20, 2009, 12:55:24 PM
Ahhh, this is very helpful.  I've heard horror stories about the 4-6-8, but I didn't know it could simply be disconnected.  Is this a complex procedure?

I've never done it, but I've read that you can either just disconnect it completely (reportedly by cutting just one wire) or put a switch under the dash to activate or deactivate the system.  If you find one that doesn't stall and which isn't too jerky when changing modes, I think I'd leave it alone and disconnect if it started acting up. Some friends of mine bought a new '81 SDV and I drove it shortly after they bought it and it went from 8 to 6 to 4 cylinder modes pretty smoothly. I didn't like the slight roughness which you could feel in the V6 mode. It felt like an early odd-firing Buick V-6 which is understandable because you basically have an odd-firing 90 degree V6 when it's in the six-cylinder mode. Fortunately, it's in six cylinder mode much less than the other two and it always idles with all 8 cylinders firing so you don't get the shaky idle you did in the old Buick V6's. As for the horror stories about the 8-6-4, in my opinion they are all exaggerated unlike most of those about the HT4100.  The V8-6-4 was nothing more than an Eaton cylinder deactivation system mounted on a cast-iron Cadillac 368 V8 and the 368 is a smaller bore, shorter stroke version of the very good Cadillac 500/472/425 engine.

EldoradoRedd1

I hav my '80 Eldorado jus came frm the shop f/repairs, Hav paint, rims, conti kit car is black w/red interior. I'm in Brooklyn, NY
S.Rhame

Rick Biarritz

Quote from: EldoradoRedd1 on April 22, 2009, 12:26:52 AM
I hav my '80 Eldorado jus came frm the shop f/repairs, Hav paint, rims, conti kit car is black w/red interior. I'm in Brooklyn, NY

Is it for sale?

arto

the  r&r grill was for pimps buying these cars in 1979 ... $$$$cash money$$$$ ...... kind of like getting 22inch wheels stock on your new cadillac suv in 2002 ..no matter what its still a cadillac!!

EldoradoRedd1

S.Rhame

EldoradoRedd1

S.Rhame

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Just for the record,
The Cadillac (and Lincoln) "pimpmobiles" with the garish upholstery, custom body work and of course the "Superfly" front ends were actually on the streets in the early 70's.  The wannabees of the 80's that copied that "theme" were the kids that saw the movies in the '70s and finally had the money to be "slick".  By the late 70s and early 80's the players were in Mercedes 600s.
Greg
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

EldoradoRedd1

Quote from: "Cadillac Kid"  Greg Surfas 15364 on April 30, 2009, 10:30:15 PM
Just for the record,
The Cadillac (and Lincoln) "pimpmobiles" with the garish upholstery, custom body work and of course the "Superfly" front ends were actually on the streets in the early 70's.  The wannabees of the 80's that copied that "theme" were the kids that saw the movies in the '70s and finally had the money to be "slick".  By the late 70s and early 80's the players were in Mercedes 600s.
Greg
The 70's put the HOGGS on the map, SUPAFLY CADILLAC has a bit of history to it i'm told. It really belonged to a PIMP frm HARLEM, NY, But my fav. is frm. THE MACK GOLDIE GOLDIE!!
S.Rhame

paul

Those superfly cadillacs of the early 70s are highly prized today. I saw one last year at a show. A 73 eldo coupe. REd and white. It was really cool looking. When they were new i used to laugh at them. Funny how time and government designed cars can make even a garish gaudy bunch of add ons look beautiful. Thats my opinion of course other may not find it attractive.  I do have a question on thisi topic. I have to get the top rolls grill piece off the hood of a 84 eldo. Somone snatched the ornament and i need to get under the piece to put another one on. It looks like its rivited on at the front lower. thats not a problem i can rerivet. I dont seem to see any other attaching bolts or nuts under the hood that hold it on.