News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1952 Battery runs down after driving

Started by Jim Salmi #21340, April 20, 2009, 07:11:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Salmi #21340

The battery on my '52 (6 volt) is about a year old.  When the car is cold, there seems to be enough charge to start the car, even if I have do 2 or 3 fairly long cranks.  I usually disconnect the positive cable if the car is going to sit overnight.  However, after it has been driven up to operating termperature, the battery seems to be weak when I try to restart the car (after a fuel stop, for example).  It did it again today, and I had to have it jumped to get it home.  There were a couple of small puddles of water on the battery, and the positive terminal felt usually warm to the touch.  I can also hear a hissing/gurgling sound when I connect the positive cable.  I will get it tested tomorrow.

Do I have some other issue, like generator or regulator problem, that is draining the battery during operation.  It generally comes back after sitting for several hours.

Thanks in advance for your good advice and councel.

Jim Salmi

1952 Cadillac Series 62 Sedan

35-709

Make sure the both of the battery terminals and cable ends are clean, sounds like a bad battery ground connection at the battery or where it connects to the frame.  Could also be a bad connection at the starter.  6 volt systems in particular need all connections to be clean and tight to work well and correctly.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Otto Skorzeny

OK Jim, you have a lot of little things to check out.

1. Load test your battery. Take the battery to a shop and have this done if you don't have a load tester of your own.

2. How far do you drive? Are you running other power-draining accessories during these drives? If you're playing the radio and running ac on short drives, the battery may not be getting re-charged. The generator may be just keeping up with the immediate demand and not producing enough juice to keep the battery up. Lots of short trips will eventually drain the battery.

3. Make sure your voltage regulator and generator are in perfect shape and working as specified in the manual. A weakness in either can cause the symptoms you're experiencing. Every component in the charging system must be in exact working order. As Geoff said, make sure all connections are clean and tight.

4. Make sure you're using the factory specified cables. This is especially true with 6 volt systems. Too long, too short, too thick, too thin can all impede the starting ability.

5. The starter may in fact be worn out. My '56 did the same thing when it got hot just before I rebuilt it.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Wayne Womble 12210

I would be concerned about the puddles of water on the battery. That is usually an indication that the battery has been charging very hard or there is a bad cell. I would check the operation of the alternator and regulator to make sure they are working correctly, and take a look at the condition of the battery itself.     

Dan LeBlanc

Have you been polarizing your generator every time you hook the battery back up?  Incorrect polarity can sometimes cause a whole myriad of problems - just like the generator harness fire I had last week on my 61FW.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

D.Yaros

Quote from: Wayne Womble 12210 on April 22, 2009, 09:41:49 AM
I would check the operation of the alternator

If he does check the alternator, and finds it is working properly, I would say he has a problem!  ;D
Dave Yaros
CLC #25195
55 Coupe de Ville
92 Allante
62 Olds  

You will find me on the web @:
http://GDYNets.atwebpages.com  -Dave's Den
http://graylady.atwebpages.com -'55 CDV site
http://www.freewebs.com/jeandaveyaros  -Saved 62 (Oldsmobile) Web Site
The home of Car Collector Chronicles.  A  monthly GDYNets newsletter focusing on classic car collecting.
http://www.scribd.com/D_Yaros/