News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1956 Cadillac lower steering column rubber dust shield question

Started by carguyblack, April 23, 2009, 05:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carguyblack

Hello again! I now reinstalling my steering column and can't figure out the rubber dust gasket at the bottom of the column as it passes through the floor. There is a stainless steel ring with the gasket crimped into it that snugs around the column. On the floorboard, there is a triangular plate that is cupped seemingly to accommodate this stainless ring with the rubber seal in it. My question is: if this ring is installed from the outside of the firewall so it recesses into the cup of the plate, what in the world is supposed to retain that up in there? It seems like it would just slide down the column all the way to the knuckle. From this side it appears to not make any type of a weatherproof seal either.  If the rubber ring is installed on the column from inside the firewall, the ring would  rest on top of the cup area of the plate and wouldn't make much of a seal for dust nor water at all. Plus it would probably chatter on each other. Does anybody have a body assembly diagram that would lend some help or has anyone done this themselves and understand my question? Thanks again for any help on this! Chuck Dykstra
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille (2 sold)
1957 Oldsmobile 98 (sold)
1989 Bonneville SSE

J. Gomez

Chuck,

The gasket place inside the stainless ring is just a grommet for the steering column for protection. The grommet rests inside the reinforcement plate cup and is held in place when the column is bolted.

The rubber seal that goes between the reinforcement place and the firewall (inside the cabin) provides the weatherproof. If you look at Steele part # 70-1425-88 you will notice that this provides the seal for the steering column.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

carguyblack

Quote from: Jose Gomez CLC #23082 on April 24, 2009, 11:52:26 AM
Chuck,

The gasket place inside the stainless ring is just a grommet for the steering column for protection. The grommet rests inside the reinforcement plate cup and is held in place when the column is bolted.

The rubber seal that goes between the reinforcement place and the firewall (inside the cabin) provides the weatherproof. If you look at Steele part # 70-1425-88 you will notice that this provides the seal for the steering column.

Good luck..!

Thanks a lot, Jose! I'm sending you an email with a follow-up question. Appreciate your help! Chuck
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille (2 sold)
1957 Oldsmobile 98 (sold)
1989 Bonneville SSE