News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Carb idle setting

Started by Steve Rinaldo, April 25, 2009, 03:48:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Rinaldo

In the shop manual it says to set the idle speed to 8mph in high gear. I tried to run allong beside the car to make make this adjustment, but at my age I couldn't keep up. what is the normal RPM. and what is the approximate seeting of the 2 idle screws. Thanks, Steve

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Perhaps at your age you might try 5 MPH
Greg
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

DaveW

Steve,

What year and body style is the car?

Dave
David Whittaker
CLC #20768

1957 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible
1958 Cadillac Series 70 Fleetwood Eldorado Brougham
1977 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

Steve Rinaldo

SSorry I left out the car info. 1937 60 series sedan.

S Passmore

Hi Steve.
I belive most of the Carter and Stromburge carb settings are "Screw the jet right home"(but not too tight)then unsrew 3/4 turn each. this will vary slightly with each car perhaps but its how the Manual tells it.
This setting useally works, I have a 37 series 60 too, as well as being a Steve also.

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Steve,

Generally you want to get the 37 to run in the range of 400 to 500 rpms. Set it so it runs at a low rpm smoothly then see if that works once you drive it. If it is too low adjust up a tad.

The idle screws should be adjusted with the car up to operating temperature. Then adjust one screw in  till it starts to run badly, then bring it back out till it is at the highest rpm. Then  adjust the other one the same way. Then do both again to gain the highest rpm rating, while running smoothly. Then re-adjust the idle.

May take a few tries to get it right, you can use the old ear to determine rpms or if you can't determine it this way use an rpm meter.

Good Luck

John W.
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series