News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Non working winshield washer on a '83 Seville.

Started by Wynn Moore, April 29, 2009, 10:19:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wynn Moore

Windshield washer on '83 Seville stopped working.  Most likely its the washer pump attached to the wiper motor....but before I get a new one, I have one question, concerning the pump that goes in the reservoir.  Is the sleeve that is around the tube and filter supposed to be loose or is it supposed to be attached to the top?

Walter Youshock

That's the float for the "WASHER FLUID" light.  All the parts for the pump are on the wiper motor.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Wynn Moore

Quote from: Walter Youshock on April 30, 2009, 01:42:25 PM
That's the float for the "WASHER FLUID" light.  All the parts for the pump are on the wiper motor.

Is this part still available?  I have searched the Internet with no luck.  I have been told that mine is worn at the top, and might not work.  Is this part absolutely necessary?

Thanks in advance.

Walter Youshock

Is your "WASHER FLUID" light on the dash always on, or did the bulb burn out?
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Wynn Moore

Quote from: Walter Youshock on April 30, 2009, 03:24:34 PM
Is your "WASHER FLUID" light on the dash always on, or did the bulb burn out?

Good question.  The light has never gone on, and the reservoir is full, so I don't know if the bulb is burnt out.

The Tassie Devil(le)

One way to check the light is to pull out the fitting in the Washer Bottle and allow the float to drop to the bottom of the shaft.

This allows the Magnetic Ring to come away from the cap and open or close the internal contacts, which in turn operates the light, as though the water level is low.

Then, when you turn on the Windscreen Wipers, the Low Washer Level light should illuminate.

On my car, the light only works when the Wipers are in use.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Wynn Moore

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) (Bruce Reynolds) on April 30, 2009, 08:31:18 PM
One way to check the light is to pull out the fitting in the Washer Bottle and allow the float to drop to the bottom of the shaft.

This allows the Magnetic Ring to come away from the cap and open or close the internal contacts, which in turn operates the light, as though the water level is low.

Then, when you turn on the Windscreen Wipers, the Low Washer Level light should illuminate.

On my car, the light only works when the Wipers are in use.

Bruce. >:D

Thanks Bruce, I will try that.

homeonprunehill

Wynn, doesn't the "low fluid"light come on dufring start. Jim
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

The Tassie Devil(le)

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

TJ Hopland

70's Gm pumps were mechanical driven.  If its on the wiper motor I would bet its the mechanical style.  There is a solenoid that when activated allows the pump piston to catch and then drive on a cam on the wiper motor.  I have seen them where things get messed up with that catch and cam.  Most of the time when the pump quits its just the check valves.  You can buy a repair kit from most parts stores that is the top of the pump with the valves in it and an o ring gasket.  If that does not do the trick you can also buy the complete pump which is basically the whole plastic cover portion of the wiper motor. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Walter Youshock

I thought we were talking about the float on the washer reservoir.  That is the trigger for the light.  On an '83, the washer motor is integral with the wiper motor.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Wynn Moore

Quote from: Walter Youshock on May 01, 2009, 10:52:53 AM
I thought we were talking about the float on the washer reservoir.  That is the trigger for the light.  On an '83, the washer motor is integral with the wiper motor.

Actually Walt, I was sort of talking about both.  Initially I inquired if the float would have anything to do with the failure of the washers.  Apparently it does not, then the info switched to the pump itself.

Wynn Moore

Quote from: TJ Hopland on May 01, 2009, 10:22:04 AM
70's Gm pumps were mechanical driven.  If its on the wiper motor I would bet its the mechanical style.  There is a solenoid that when activated allows the pump piston to catch and then drive on a cam on the wiper motor.  I have seen them where things get messed up with that catch and cam.  Most of the time when the pump quits its just the check valves.  You can buy a repair kit from most parts stores that is the top of the pump with the valves in it and an o ring gasket.  If that does not do the trick you can also buy the complete pump which is basically the whole plastic cover portion of the wiper motor. 

Thanks to you TJ and everyone else that offered help.  I will perform a couple more basic checks and if it still doesn't work, I will just go get a new pump.  They are reasonably priced, about $50, and relatively easy to replace.