News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1940 Convertible Top Bows

Started by Ron Meining, May 01, 2009, 03:34:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Meining

I need to know the color of the top bows on a 1940 four door convertible. I don't think the rusty silver color is original. Thanks
1940 7529 Sedan Convertible

caddy_carazy

Hi Ron, I have restored 37 through 47 convertibles and without exception through these years Cadillac has used a dull type gold colour on all
the interior metal work, that included the steering column as well as all the top irons, On my 37 60 series this included the dash.
After many years this colour would deteriorate to a flat green type, not very nice. It may differ on different series.
Hope this helps

Doug Houston

That's a hard question for me to answer, because it's a '40 model car. I have restored a '41 Cadillac 4 door convertible, and a '41 Oldsmobile 4 door convertible. Both are "C" bodies, of course. On both of those catrs, the entire top linkage was chromium plated, except the windshield header bar. It was painted the brown beige that some hardware in other Fisher bodies were done in.

Even the long hooks that batten down the top linkage with top down were chromium, and the little bracket that mounted them, as well.

I understand that the '40 cars had the "B" pillar removable extensions painted body color. The '41 cars had hose pieces cheomium plated, and the outer flat surfaces in body color, with inside in brown nbeige.
38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929

caddy_carazy

"the entire top linkage was chromium plated"

Doug is absolutely correct in this respect, but I think Ron was asking about the Bow colour. I presume he was not talking about the wooden one but the two maybe even three metal ones, My convertible Buicks and Cadillacs have all had these metal parts painted the interior colour and that includes the folding pillars and the fold out arms that attach to the screen top, all the clasp sets that hold it to the screen and wing nuts are indeed chrome, but Iv never seen the bows chrome.
The wooden bow I believe had a covering of very fine material usually to match the top material but this is not always replaced, I have seen them painted and varnished. Hope this helps.

Terry Wenger CLC#1800

Ron:

Since your car is a Fleetwood 7529 it is different than the normal Fisher bodied 61 and 62 series cars of those years. There was more chrome used and more bows were covered with bowdrill to match the top interior color. I suggest you contact owners through the CLC directory of 40-7529's and 40-9029's to get that information from them. There are a number of them that have been restored.

Terry Wenger