News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1957 power steering question

Started by kelly, May 04, 2009, 08:13:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelly

I have noticed a bit of an issue with my '57. When the vehicle is sitting still or going very slow, it takes a lot of steering wheel pressure to turn wheels to the left. Turns to right are easy.  The condition is not noticable at, say 10mph or more. Any good theories?
Kelly Martin
Kelly Martin
1957 Fleetwood 75
2008 DTS

J. Gomez

Kelly,

Assuming from your description the higher effort turning left is starting at the center position “wheels straight”! If the steering is at the max right position, do you notice the same condition turning the wheels left back to center? Or just starting from center and turning left?

Due to multiple pieces involved with the steering, steering column, pump, gear box, linkage, tie rods,  knuckle, king pings, etc you may need to test them individually.
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

kelly

Jose,
  Thanks for your response.  You are correct, problem is from wheels nuetral. When recovering from a right turn position, even sitting still, I don't recall any issues returning back to nuetral.  I will double check, but assuming these conditions, any ideas? Thanks.
Kelly Martin
Kelly Martin
1957 Fleetwood 75
2008 DTS

J. Gomez

Kelly,

Jacked the front end, visually inspect all of the steering connections, linkages, etc. While a helper moves the steering wheel (w/out power assist engine off) listened and looked for any abnormalities, these steps requires no hand tools..!  ;D

Before you start dismantling the steering one point, have you properly greased all front end lubrication points? 

I would start by eliminating each of the sections one at a time.

Suggestion, disconnect the tie rod (careful not to rip the rubber boot) from each of the front wheels, check each wheel for full right and left rotation. This step eliminates the steering knuckle and kin ping; it also removes the load from the gear box.

While the tie rods are out and no load, test the rotation of the steering, if you still experiencing the drag, the problem could be in the gear box.

Possible culprit could be a defective control valve in the gear box blocking the pressure on the returned trip back to center.

These steps maybe complicated or unnecessary but with multiple variables it is hard to say were the problem resides. Other CLC members could provide additional hints..!

Good luck..! 
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Dave Shepherd

If all else checks ok, usually the seals/rings on the spool/control valve are bypassing in the gearbox.

Otto Skorzeny

This might sound dumb but check your tire pressure.

I had a similar problem on a '79 Ford truck. It turned easy one way but not the  other. One tire turned out to be severely low on pressure. It wasn't readily obvious to look at it because of the stiff sidewalls but it was dragging on the pavement and preventing the wheel from centering normally.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE