News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

'76 DeVille - Body Assembly Manual?

Started by mgbeda, May 04, 2009, 02:28:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgbeda

Hi Everyone,

I am at the point in the restoration of my Dad's '76 Sedan DeVille where I've unbolted about everything that can be unbolted, and it's time to start cutting off the rusty body panels (yes, I know it's insane to go through so much trouble to restore a car like this when you can get nice rust free examples for two grand.  But I'm insane, so it's okay.)

What I would really love to have is some sort of manual that describes how all the individual pieces of sheet metal were welded together to make the body.  Does anything like this exist?  I have the Cadillac Chassis shop manual and the Fisher Body shop manual.  I even got an assembly manual for a '72 Buick, thinking the underbody would be pretty close.  It is, but the assembly manual assumes the assembly starts with a completed Fisher body.

Is there such a thing as a Body Assembly Manual?  Or would a parts manual, which I hear has many exploded views, have things broken down to individual sheet metal panels?

Thanks,

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)

Chris Conklin

Quote from: mgbeda on May 04, 2009, 02:28:34 PMyes, I know it's insane to go through so much trouble to restore a car like this when you can get nice rust free examples for two grand.  But I'm insane, so it's okay

You're in the right asylum.
Chris Conklin

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

mB,

The 1975 Illustrated Master Parts Book has exploded veiws of the sheet metal panels. Check eBay for auctions of same.......And yes, you're in the right place for your state of mind

Ralph
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

Philippe M. Ruel

Throw two grands in a rust-free example and use it as a pattern... ::)
1952 60 Special in France.

mgbeda

Thank you for the advice, and for understanding my "insanity".  I've got my parts manual now, and it does help.

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610

RobW

All you really need to do is find the factory seams, drill out the spot welds and seperate the panels with a hammer and flat chisel.
Are you buying used sections for parts? By sections I mean the way a salvage yard cuts a 1/4. You wind up with a third of the trunk floor and about a foot of rocker panel.
Rob Wirsing

mgbeda

No, I got a parts car.  Almost rust free, but didn't run, and was less than the local junkyard wanted for one of their shells.

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610

RobW

So you're cutiing up a rust free body to patch up a rust bucket?! You do realize that any time you cut and weld you're inviting rust? Why not switch interiors and mechanicals? Paint it whatever color the other is.
Rob Wirsing

grinch

Rob-

We all have our own insanities.  Every time I go out to the shop I wonder what the hell I'm doing, pouring money into this car of mine.  mB's have already been excused.  Explaining them may take longer. 
Peter Mason CLC #24665
Charlotte, NC
1968 Deville Convertible in progress
1989 Sedan DeVille