News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

75 Eldorado dash cap removal?

Started by Doug Spingelt, May 04, 2009, 04:57:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Spingelt

Can someone point me in the right direction for removing the top part of the dashboard in my 75 Eldorado?  I need to fix the clock which is stuck and replace the bulb for the fuel tank guage.  Thank you!
Doug Spingelt

76eldo

Doug,

I am guessing that you do not have a shop manual?

The procedure is in there.

There are some visible screws, and also you have to remove the vents (be careful) and there are bolts inside the vent cavity.  Removing the vents is a little tricky.  You have to pry in gently on the little black release tabs and work the vents off of their pivot.  Take a bright flashlight and look at everything before you start.

The clocks very rarely work, so if you are going to all that trouble, you may want to get a quartz conversion done, and I would change all the bulbs you can get to.

Be VERY careful handling the top of the dash, the vinyl may be brittle, and if you grab it, you can push your thumbs right through a seemingly nice dash top.  Support it from the bottom.

Good luck,

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Ted in Olympia WA

You have to remove the lower dash first and then the upper.  You should be able to remove the clock with the upper dash still in by pushing around the heater hoses and lots of feeling with your fingers.

You have to remove the dash vents.  To do this pull in on the clips on both sides and then push them in the hole.  Once you do this you can turn them and pull them out through the hole.

There are three screws/nuts you can see through the vents and get with an extension.

There are also a couple of screws above the light (they go straight up) switch and some more by the radio and glove box. 

Make sure you remove the two screws that hold the map light and let it hang, if you do not you will break it.

Once you get it all loose you can just pull it out but be careful.  These dashes are very fragile and you can break them just by squeezing them or putting too much pressure on them.

Once you get out the lower dash there are two screws that hold the clock.

Gook luck,

If you need a working clock I have one for $100 shipped.

TED
Selling used Eldorado Parts from 1971-1978.  Member Number 25659.

Rafael

Quote from: Ted in Olympia WA on May 04, 2009, 09:14:20 PMYou have to remove the lower dash first and then the upper.  You should be able to remove the clock with the upper dash still in by pushing around the heater hoses and lots of feeling with your fingers.

You have to remove the dash vents.  To do this pull in on the clips on both sides and then push them in the hole.  Once you do this you can turn them and pull them out through the hole.

There are three screws/nuts you can see through the vents and get with an extension.

There are also a couple of screws above the light (they go straight up) switch and some more by the radio and glove box. 

Make sure you remove the two screws that hold the map light and let it hang, if you do not you will break it.

Once you get it all loose you can just pull it out but be careful.  These dashes are very fragile and you can break them just by squeezing them or putting too much pressure on them.

Once you get out the lower dash there are two screws that hold the clock.

Gook luck,

If you need a working clock I have one for $100 shipped.

TED

About the three screws/nuts that you can see through the vents,
What tools would you recommend to remove these nuts? Since it's a tight spot it's kind of tough.

Thanks,
Rafael

J. Skelly

Quote from: Rafael on October 26, 2023, 05:31:44 AMAbout the three screws/nuts that you can see through the vents,
What tools would you recommend to remove these nuts? Since it's a tight spot it's kind of tough.

Thanks,
Rafael
Use a small combination wrench (open on one side and boxed on the other).  I have a small set of Craftsman wrenches in a vinyl pouch that worked perfectly for this.  As I recall, use the boxed end so you have control of the nut as you place a finger over the wrench and nut to keep the nut from possibly falling into the vent.  Maybe someone can recommend a magnetic boxed wrench to reduce the risk of the nut falling into the vent.
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

3/8"-1/4" drive deep socket and 6 inch extension.  A small magnetic pick up might come in handy if and when the nuts drop.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-