News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Considerations on Cadillac project purchases.

Started by BJM, May 05, 2009, 10:37:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BJM

I'm purchasing a new round of projects over the next 4 years. Everything I buy is non running, requiring complete restorations. I'm more of a preservationist and prefer not to buy a restored car, plus I like to know it was done right. Pros and cons comments would be appreciated ont he following cars:

1941 Cadillac 67 Limousine, 1 of 200. Price $2000 Complete but needs a right front fender. Needs body off restoration.

1947 Cadillac 75 Limousine Model 7533 1 of 1005  Complete. $2000 obo

1953 Cadillac Coupe deVille $1800 obo complete, rusty bottoms.

1955 series 75 Limousine  /  1955 Coupe DeVille   

1956 series 75 Limousine

1957 Series 75 Limousine  / 1957 Coupe deVille

I really love the Cadillac limousines from 1941 to 1958.  As posted before I know a seller less then 60 miles away that has a collection of Cadillac Limousine projects one from each year 1950 to 1964. He is retired and has not sold anything that I know of. He even has a Derham and a couple of 57 Sevilles.

The last time I was there he quoted me $3000 for a 57 series 75. While complete and fairly solid, I had in mind about $1800.  I really like the reverse cant of the C pillar on 57 Cadillacs and Buicks too. I liek the understaed fins on 57 Cadillacs.

I only have time, room and money for two Cadillacs and can't decide. (I wish some other folks would buy some of these and restore them - maybe there is more supply then demand)

I have owned a 64 Coupe deVille and 2 67 Eldorados. I almost put a 68 Eldorado on the above list, I have located one in Arizona I like for it's no rust-ness but I am tired of paying for transportation.  All the above noted cars on my list are actual cars within a 1-2 state radius.  Most prices are negotiable. Rust and mechanical issues don't worry me.   

Please feel free to comment.  Thanks for reading

Otto Skorzeny

I would choose the 1955 and 1957 Coupe de Villes because I personally prefer 2 door coupes to 4 door anythings. I drive a '56 Coupe de Ville so I'm biased toward the '55.

The coupes will be easier to find parts for than just about any limousine regardless of year. The 55 and 57 have modern, reliable engines that are easily serviced with parts from the local NAPA. They're also 12 volt systems.

The coupes are also a little more practical for daily use and they fit into garages and parking spaces better than limos.

When you're driving the coupes, people won't think you're the chauffeur.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

35-709

".... I have located one in Arizona I like for it's no rust-ness but I am tired of paying for transportation."

Since you invited comments ---- You don't say where you are but I would think a "no rust-ness" car of the vintage you are talking about or older would be worth the transportation from Arizona over the work of repairing/replacing body panels, floors, and frames on rusted cars anytime!   :) 
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

BJM

Ha! Yea I know but the interiors from Arizona are usually crusty hard. Tomato thomato

The car I have located in Arizona is actually a 68 Eldorado. Man I love those cars. BUT it's too new. I restored a 66 Toronado and reduced a 68 Riviera and these cars were complicated.

I am really high on the 53 Coupe deVille with A/C (with or without A/C doesn't matter) and I have loved the Cadillac Limousines for years. I always dreamed (or had that image in my head) of celebrities being driven up under the cleg lights at a Kennedy Center event and stepping out of one of these cars. The ones I know about probably never held a Celebrity but normal Joes didn't buy them new.

In fact I am amazed at the numbers built back in the day. A couple thousand doesn't sound like a lot, but that means 2,000 CEO's, movie studios, ambassadors and ?? bought them each year - not to mention a few Lincolns and Imperials.

I an only afford to restore 2 as I plan on 2-3 Buicks, I have a 49 Chrysler New Yorker coming in and a couple of other makes cars in mind.  I'llprobably go with the 53 Coupe deVille and the 57 75 series BUT hate to see the rare 1941 series 67, which is a rare sub-model of 200 originally - continue to die slowly.  The 1941 and the 1947 Limousines are located at a business called "Easy Jack's in mid-Kansas that has been a long time Hemmings subscriber.

I 1st looked at those cars 5 years ago in person and they have had them for 35 years. They also have a 1947 series 60 Fleetwood next to them. Those are a whole lot of Cadillac.

I am looking at cars that are in private "project" car yards not ebay. ebay and even Craigs List requires a person to make a quicker decision and I can't do that. After I buy one car (getting a Buick this Sunday) I turn my focus to the next one and I have had few of these cars I look at get sold before I save the seed money.

Most have been there for years. I always say - I would LOVE to have somebody buy these cars (or at least some of them) out from under me. I lost a 1938 Cadillac 60 Special this way. I let some collectors know about it - it still took 2 years but the seller told me that the buyer saw my post on the AACA forum.

otto - as far as length that is an issue with the Limos, as is cost to restore versus ending value. I am not looking to turn a finished car, what's that the home people call it - "flip it" I am 45 now and I am buying what I hope is my last 6-8 cars to retire with, once completed - there will be only maintenance.

I visited a high school friend 2 Sundays ago and he had a nice Ford performance collection of about 8-10 cars but most important - he never sells a car. He has a couple cars he has owned for 28 - 32 years and we are 45 years old. I admire that - the ability not to change focus.