News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

GM recalls 2010 Camaro SS

Started by Matt CLC#18621, May 06, 2009, 08:29:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt CLC#18621

GM recalls 2010 Camaro SS
05/06/2009, 12:55 PMBy Drew Johnson
Chevrolet’s all-new Camaro has only been on the market for a matter of days but General Motors has already announced a recall of the Australian-bred pony car. It remains to be seen how many Camaros will be sent back to the dealers for repairs, but the recall reportedly only involves SS models.

Some early Camaro SS buyers were caught off guard when their brand new rides refused to operate with less than 100 miles on the clock, but the problem has now been identified as a manufacturing defect. A faulty battery cable is at fault, with Chevy dealers standing by to repair the problem.

However, the faulty battery cable can pose a serious risk to 2010 Camaro SS owners â€" as the car can simply stop running â€" leading GM to recommend owners have the cars towed to the nearest dealership.

Although the recall will be fairly isolated, the news is not good for GM. The Detroit-based automaker is currently fighting for its survival and doesn’t need an early recall â€" especially on a vehicle as well-publicized as the Camaro â€" further tarnishing the company’s reputation.

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

Recalls of new General Motors models (and those of other manufacturers) are not a recent development.  An example from over forty years ago is the 1966 Oldsmobile Toronado.  The first several thousand were recalled for carburetor/fuel system modifications after many of them caught fire.

Matt CLC#18621

Quote from: Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397 on May 06, 2009, 09:23:39 PM
Recalls of new General Motors models (and those of other manufacturers) are not a recent development.  An example from over forty years ago is the 1966 Oldsmobile Toronado.  The first several thousand were recalled for carburetor/fuel system modifications after many of them caught fire.

Agree, but they just left the show room floor last week.

Matt
CLC# 18621

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

Quote from: Matt CLC#18621 on May 06, 2009, 10:00:03 PM
Agree, but they just left the show room floor last week.

Matt
CLC# 18621

Very similar scenario to late 1965, Matt; the Toronados had only been out a couple of weeks when they were recalled and many of them were still in showrooms and on dealer lots. I was pestering my dad (who, like Ralphie's father in A Christmas Story, was "an Oldsmobile man") to trade our '64 Ninety-Eight for a Toronado and I wasn't making much headway.  Any chance I had for having a new Toronado in our garage ended when that recall was announced.

The Tassie Devil(le)

What is going on here?

A 2010 model vehicle being released in May of 2009?

Next thing they will be releasing the 2011 model in December 2009.

I cannot understand why a model can be released even on December the 29th of any year, and still be called the next year's model.

Where is "Truth in Advertising"?

Plus, they are being built in Canada from what I hear.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

jeff1956

You're correct.  They are built in Oshawa, Ontario.  When I bought my 2004 Impala, it was built in Oshawa and it came with a big sticker on the window that had the canadian flag and read "built with canadian pride"  That was the first thing i ripped off...lol.  Oshawa, has gotten several awards for building some of the best GM cars...so they must be doing something right.

Jeff

The Tassie Devil(le)

So, the Camaro is a Foreign car then.

Designed in Australia and built in Canada.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Wynn Moore

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) (Bruce Reynolds) on May 06, 2009, 11:56:20 PM
What is going on here?

A 2010 model vehicle being released in May of 2009?

Next thing they will be releasing the 2011 model in December 2009.

I cannot understand why a model can be released even on December the 29th of any year, and still be called the next year's model.

Where is "Truth in Advertising"?

Plus, they are being built in Canada from what I hear.

You, obviously not being a American, don't understand some of our customs and traditions.  Historically the new models would be introduced in the fall of the year before the year they were.  This lead to putting out models that weren't quite ready and properly tested.  Eventually manufacturers wised up and didn't introduce new models until they felt they were trouble free. A prime example of this was the 1984 Corvettes.  They weren't ready until the Spring of '83 and GM felt it was too late to introduce them as '83's, so they introduced them as '84's, which meant there was no 1983 Corvettes.  Ford in 1964 did a similar thing with the introduction of their Mustangs ,and called them 1964 1/2 Mustangs.  Basically its the same situation as companies that keep records by either fiscal year or calender year.

jaxops

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) (Bruce Reynolds) on May 06, 2009, 11:56:20 PM
What is going on here? A 2010 model vehicle being released in May of 2009?Bruce. >:D

I was at a car show at Pembroke Mall last Sunday and a new 2010 Mustang was there...I kept thinking, "it's not September but there it is!"  Also I kept thinking, "how could it be almost 2010????"  Yikes!
Oh, by the way, both of my Fords (1989 CV and 1990 Merc GM) were built in Canada.  I have a big Canadian-flagged sticker on the doors.
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Wynn Moore on May 07, 2009, 06:32:22 AM
You, obviously not being a American, don't understand some of our customs and traditions.  Historically the new models would be introduced in the fall of the year before the year they were.  This lead to putting out models that weren't quite ready and properly tested.  Eventually manufacturers wised up and didn't introduce new models until they felt they were trouble free. A prime example of this was the 1984 Corvettes.  They weren't ready until the Spring of '83 and GM felt it was too late to introduce them as '83's, so they introduced them as '84's, which meant there was no 1983 Corvettes. 
You are right.  I am an Aussie, and my 1972 Eldorado Convertible that was built in October 1971 has to be registered here as a 1971 model as we go by the actual year of manufacture.

I thought there were no 1983 Corvettes because of a major Union Strike?

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Wynn Moore

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) (Bruce Reynolds) on May 07, 2009, 08:52:46 AM
You are right.  I am an Aussie, and my 1972 Eldorado Convertible that was built in October 1971 has to be registered here as a 1971 model as we go by the actual year of manufacture.

I thought there were no 1983 Corvettes because of a major Union Strike?

It appears that our friends from Down Under have their set of rules concerning what year a car is to be registered.  I can understand registering the car as being built in 1971, but the fact is, is that you have a 1972 model.  Oh well when in Rome etc etc etc.

The Missing 1983 Corvette!

Those familiar with Corvette history are well aware that there was no 1983 Corvette.  The industry standard Corvette Black Book certainly shows no entry between the 1982 and 1984 Corvettes. The planned 1983 Corvette brought forward some of the most far reaching design changes in Corvette's history.  Many changes included high-technology that had not been proven for automobile application....Although the technology was available, it had to be developed into the manufacturing process with the quality, reliability, and durability proven before production of saleable vehicles could begin.  The initial plan called for introduction of the newly designed 1983 in October 1982.  There were 43 pre-production models built (but) a decision was made to withhold production (for sale) until January 1983 and to serialize them as 1984 models.  The Corvette was named "Car of the Year" by Motor Trend Magazine in 1984.

So, why were they held off until January? Before production lines began, California voted to make emission controls more stringent than ever, and the 1983 model wasn't prepared to deal with it.

jeff1956

actually they are considered domestic cars bc their parts content is almost exclusively united states in origin.  not sure about the new pontiacs as i hear they are imported kind of like the cateras were.

Wynn Moore

Quote from: jeff1956 on May 07, 2009, 10:05:29 AM
actually they are considered domestic cars bc their parts content is almost exclusively united states in origin.  not sure about the new pontiacs as i hear they are imported kind of like the cateras were.

What really counts is where the profits go!

Chris Conklin

Chris Conklin

Chris Conklin

I wanted to say "There aren't any... yet", but I'm just not that much of an optimist.
Chris Conklin

Guidematic

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) (Bruce Reynolds) on May 07, 2009, 03:23:42 AM
So, the Camaro is a Foreign car then.

Designed in Australia and built in Canada.

Not an import to me!  :D

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69