News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Headliner Help

Started by Rick Biarritz, May 07, 2009, 11:32:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Biarritz

Gotta replace the headliner in my 83 Eldo.  I presume this is the "modern" type of HL, with fabric glued to a shell, as opposed to the old type with fabric stretched between bows.  Am I right?  Any tips on how to do this or where to get the materials?  I've never done a headliner before so I await your expert advice.

Thanks.

CadDad

Don't know for sure if they are pretty much the same, but I had several cars in that time frame that required headliners. They had a fabric with a foam back that over time seperated from age and heat. I would think that there would be suppliers out there still providing them. SMS Auto fabrics in Oregon? I know my trim shop always had them.
1955 Series 62 2dr. hardtop
1959 Buick LeSabre 2dr. with  Manual transmission
1949 International Harvester KB-1
1977 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme
1941 Buick Century Sedanet
1941 Packard 110 Club Coupe
1937 LaSalle Opera Coupe
1940 Ford Deluxe Coupe

RobW

You might want to check with your locakl upholstery shop. Depending on where you are it might be $125 to $180. You need to remove the headliner shell. That means the back seat has to come out and all the trim around the headliner and the rear 1/4 interior panels. You know some of the clips will break. By the time you buy the material, glue, and clips(if you can find them) and sand the shell to get all the old foam off, it would easier to get it done. They should be using better glue in a spray gun rather than spray cans that you'll probably use. There should also be some type of warranty. Maybe 6 months or a year, etc. Not something you want to do twice. You might also need to do the visors. They usually start sagging around the same time. Or maybe just do them anyway so the color matches. I'm sure after 26 years they're a little faded.
Rob Wirsing

Otto Skorzeny

I agree with Rob. If you can find someone to do it for $300 or less, go for it.

I attempted to repair a 1988 Dodge Dakota with the same problem. It's only a third the size of a Cadillac and it'sa pain in theneck. I used 3M upholstery adhesive in the spray can. It's a sticky mess. Then you carefullylay the fabric over the pressboard/plastic shell trying not to get any wrinkles, etc.

The adhesive failed after a year or so. I then took the whole thing out and threw it away. I had a nice shiny red steel ceiling just like the stripped down models. It was better than trying to do it again.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

EldoradoRedd1

I had my done from a guy in my neighborhood, did the side panels & visors hit me f/$250
S.Rhame