News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Maintenance & Repair circa 1928

Started by Chris Conklin, May 07, 2009, 01:55:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Conklin

Just some fun... an old mailer to a Model T owner right after the A was introduced.
Chris Conklin

Otto Skorzeny

That's really cool.

You have to remember, though that a wage earner of the day might have been lucky to earn $10 a day. To have all that stuff done would cost a couple weeks pay or more.

fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Chris Conklin

I was thinking $10 a week. The $20-$25 labor for the rebuild was pretty high, I thought. Translating it to today's dollars, the ratio probably really hasn't changed much.
Chris Conklin

Porter

What exactly does "Translating it to today's dollars," mean anyway ?

HF was onto this con game long ago.

Bueller ?

Porter  ::)

Walter Youshock

Generally, 5% compounded annually.

A $5,500.00 1959 Cadillac would be like $45-50,000 today.

An Eldorado Brougham would be in the range of a current Rolls-Royce, high-end Bentley or Maybach--about $350-400,000.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Otto Skorzeny

Quote from: Chris Conklin #25055 on May 07, 2009, 06:58:58 PM
I was thinking $10 a week. The $20-$25 labor for the rebuild was pretty high, I thought. Translating it to today's dollars, the ratio probably really hasn't changed much.

There's probably some place to look up the average wage in 1928. I think $10 per week is a little low.

Henry Ford made history in 1908 when he paid his workers $5 per day - an unheard of sum at the time. That generally lifted wages across America in many industries.
fward

Otto Skorzeny

Here's a page full of gobble-dee-gook that boils down to this:

Average net income in 1928 was $6078. That's $116 per week. A little more than I expected, although many Model T owners may have been at the lower end of the income scale.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,738618,00.html
fward

Walter Youshock

WHERE?!?!  Not in Coal Country, it wasn't!!!  And that's NET?!?!

Plus, you lived in a Company House and shopped in the Company Store!

No wonder there was only one car on my Dad's street when he was a kid (he was born in '28.)
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Porter

Quote from: Walter Youshock on May 07, 2009, 09:04:38 PM
Generally, 5% compounded annually.

A $5,500.00 1959 Cadillac would be like $45-50,000 today.

An Eldorado Brougham would be in the range of a current Rolls-Royce, high-end Bentley or Maybach--about $350-400,000.

Wow, so gold and silver coins increase in value about 5% annually.

Porter ::)

Guidematic

I find $116 per week is a little high for 1928, and also, Ford paid the $5/day to only a few employees, not all of them. And that would translate to $30 per week since they worked 6 day weeks.

They had to be with the company for some time, me morally stringent (no drinking etc) and have a family.

HF would send out his spies to the local bars on payday and look for those that were drinking away the weeks wages.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69

Walter Youshock

No--gold and silver coins do not increase like that.  Check the prices for precious metals--they change by the minute.

I was referring to inflation and the cost of items generally increase in that manner.

Old story:  2 older people in the grocery store.  One says:  "Gee, I remember when pork chops were 5 cents a pound!"  The other one says:  "Yeah.  And I remember when I didn't have the 5 cents."
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Chris Conklin

Quote from: ottoskorzeny on May 07, 2009, 09:13:56 PMAverage net income in 1928 was $6078. That's $116 per week.

That does seem quite high. But consider '28 a snapshot of that era and you'd have to think it was another "boom year"... the bust was in the not too distant future. Interesting it is "net", were there even federal income taxes yet?
Chris Conklin

Otto Skorzeny

Yes, 1928 was a boom year. The figures above are from the IRS and represent individual net income.

Henry Ford's $5 a day was 20 years prior to 1928 so inflation and general expansion of the economy would naturally increase wages.

I was surprised by the figure as well but depending on whether you figure on a 5 day or 6 day work week, the number comes out to $19 -$23 per day. One must also realize that during the 1920s, virtually everybody was investing in the stock market which was soaring to new heights almost daily. Many people earned money in addition to their wages through dividends and stock trading.

It wasn't until the end of 1929 that all that came crashing down. 1930's average income is probably a lot less.
fward

Porter

Quote from: Walter Youshock on May 08, 2009, 09:28:45 AM
No--gold and silver coins do not increase like that.  Check the prices for precious metals--they change by the minute.

I was referring to inflation and the cost of items generally increase in that manner.

Old story:  2 older people in the grocery store.  One says:  "Gee, I remember when pork chops were 5 cents a pound!"  The other one says:  "Yeah.  And I remember when I didn't have the 5 cents."

1950 silver was $ 1.29 an oz. you could buy four loaves of bread. 2009 $ 13 an oz. you can still buy four loaves of bread.

End of today's history lesson about fiat paper $$$'s and you can apply the above to the Cadillac analogy.

"A $5,500.00 1959 Cadillac would be like $45-50,000 today."

Moral to the story ? Don't sit on your fiat paper $$$'s for too long.

Porter  ::)