News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Installing a 49 engine into a 48

Started by Jeff Maltby 4194, May 08, 2009, 10:40:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Maltby 4194

Frames are the same less front motor mounts as I recall ?

What needs to be modified ?

Jeffo 49er chapter :<)

Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Jay Friedman

Jeffo,

Some years ago I saw a '48 with a '49 motor.  If I remember correctly, holes were cut in both inner fenders, as the '49 motor is wider, particularly because of the '49 generator and its mounting being on the side rather than the top of the motor.  This would also require modifying some of the wiring harness.

You mentioned the motor mounts, but I think the radiator must be modified also, or replaced somehow with a '49 radiator, since the hose connections are different. 

Also, if I'm not mistaken the accelerator pedal linkage is on the opposite side of the carb in a '48, but don't quote me on this one. 

If a stick shift car, the clutch relay is mounted differently in a '49 so it must be changed or modified, and if a Hydramatic car I think the linkage for the "kick-down" lever from the carb to the tranny is different.