News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Holley Commander 950 Fuel Injection

Started by Dan LeBlanc, May 08, 2009, 09:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan LeBlanc

Has anybody tried this?  It seems like an ok setup.  My 61 390 is coming out shortly to get freshened up and a tranny change, so I figured I may upgrade to fuel injection along with the pointless ignition.

Thoughts?
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

TJ Hopland

I have not used that system myself but I have heard it works well and is not that hard to setup.   I had an early analog Projection system on a 425.  I tried to move it to a 500 and could not get it to run right so I ditched the analog ECU and put in a Megasquirt using the holey TB and injectors.   Mine is the 2bbl w/ 85 lbhr injectors and its working great.    Dont over do it and get too large of a throttle body and injectors.  The 4bbl TBI's are huge and meant for serious performance engines that idle at 1500 rpm.   If I can run the 2bbl on my 500 you should be able to do it with a 390.   The Megasquirt started out as a home brew ecu that is now a semi production thing you can buy as a kit or fully assembled.  Its open source and user driven so there are a lot of odd features that the big guys wont bother with.

Another one to look at if you are not afraid to spend some money is:
http://www.retrotekspeed.com/
They have one that looks just like a Holley 4bbl carb and uses regular Bosch injectors hidden under fake fuel bowls.

Here are some work in progress pics

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Art G

Quote from: Dan LeBlanc on May 08, 2009, 09:18:46 PM
Has anybody tried this?  It seems like an ok setup.  My 61 390 is coming out shortly to get freshened up and a tranny change, so I figured I may upgrade to fuel injection along with the pointless ignition.

Thoughts?

I haven't used the Holley setup.  But I have an electronic fuel injection setup on my 1949 Cadillac 331.  It works great, starts instantly, gives good economy.  It is a simple throttle body setup and I bought it from Affordable Fuel Injection in Michigan.  Good people who have provided excellent support.  No more carbs for me.  Fitted with an internally modified 1949 air cleaner, my engine looks very stock.  As for ignition, I have a Pertronix electronic module (points eliminator) inside my stock distributor.

The car is super reliable and a very good driver.  I am quite happy with it.

Art G

Dan LeBlanc

Thanks for the input.  I can't see it as being a bad thing, for sure.  If I don't like it, it's easy enough to put back to stock and sell the injection setup.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car