News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Hooking up factory radio in 1990 Cadillac Brougham.

Started by Eric S. Maypother #15104, May 09, 2009, 07:27:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric S. Maypother #15104

Hooking up factory radio in 1990 Cadillac Brougham.

Hi,
I bought a 1990 Brougham last month, the guy told me the radio didn't work, I saw the rear speakers were also missing and had different ends on the wires, I figured it probably had an aftermarket system in it and he saved his speakers and just put the factory radio back in hole, maybe the wires would be cut also, I also have a 1990 parts car, I put the speakers from parts car in that I know are good, I unscrewed radio, saw the wires were plugged in, check the fuses they were all good, put in radio from parts car I know works, still no power, then I found 3 plugs tucked underneath, all male ends, 1 is has wires the color of the front speakers, 1 has color of rear speakers, other looks like power wires, plus I found the antenna plug, none of these go into the radio but they must connect somewhere. I've taken radio's out of 2 other 1990 Broughams and never saw an antenna wire, just the 2 plugs into radio like in this 1, I looked in my parts car and could not find the 3 mystery plugs in that car, the radios are identical, is their another part of the radio somewhere in the dash I'm not seeing? I've been going without a radio for over a month. I know a 1966 Cadillac I had with am/fm had a 2 piece radio, it rings a bell that I heard somewhere recently this era radio also had 2 parts, just where is it?
Heres some pictures of the mystery wires and the wires that go directly to radio,
Thanks in advance for help.
Eric :)
1990 Cadillac Brougham

Robert Meyers

Eric, the actual receiver/amplifier portion of the radio resides in a metal box behind the instrument panel on the driver's side. The bit with the knobs and display is a control head.

The 91/92 Brougham manual has a great troubleshooting section, c/w diagrams, etc.

I can scan and e-mail, copy and fax or copy and mail to you.

Cannot scan 'til Monday, but could fax or mail photo copies sooner.

If you're still in need, please indicate your preference and include fax number or address if applicable.

Regardless, good luck.

Sincerely

Robert
1988 & '89 Broughams. 2 X 1992 Fleetwood. 1956 Packard Patrician. 1978 Peugeot 504 Wagon. 1975 Ford Custom 500 Wagon, 1972 Lincoln Continental.

Eric S. Maypother #15104

Hi Robert,
Thanks, a scan e-mailed would be great, Monday will be fine, I have to take the spedo out of the parts car anyways, maybe I can see behind it to see whats involved before I start taking stuff off good car.
1990 Cadillac Brougham

Walter Youshock

The amp could be shorted.  They are a B**** to get out of the car!

That really is the radio.  I was doing work on my '90 and unplugged the control head while it was on.  The "radio" kept playing.  The dealer told me where it was located in the car.

They do get noisy and can be rebuilt.  '90-'92 are the same unit with or without CD.  That amp was probably used on a lot of other cars--IF you know where they hid it.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Robert Meyers

Lots of scans on the way Eric..

Keep well,

Robert
1988 & '89 Broughams. 2 X 1992 Fleetwood. 1956 Packard Patrician. 1978 Peugeot 504 Wagon. 1975 Ford Custom 500 Wagon, 1972 Lincoln Continental.

Eric S. Maypother #15104

Quote from: Robert Meyers on May 11, 2009, 10:02:09 AM

Keep well,

Robert

Hi Robert,
Got them all, thanks a lot, those will be very helpful, I'll work on it this week, hopefully have it back together for Cadillac Day in Brookline, MA this Sunday.
1990 Cadillac Brougham

slb119

Quote from: Robert Meyers on May 11, 2009, 10:02:09 AM

Keep well,

Robert

Robert,
I am about to replace the factory radio on my '91 Brougham. Could you send those scans to me also? I have ordered a factory book but it won't arrive for a few weeks and I would like to ge it done now. I would assume the same wiring set up was used in "91.
Thanks.
Stephen
Stephen Ballow
1st time Cadi owner.

mur325