News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1959 Caddy - How do you open the hood?

Started by Snochico, May 11, 2009, 06:49:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snochico

The house I bought last year came with a 1959 Cadillac in the garage.  It needs a lot of work and we would like to see what the engine looks like, but can figure out how to open the hood.  I understand there is a lever in the grill- but where, what side?  Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!  :)

ronw

It's just off center on the driver side. Pull it towards you when you are facing the car.
Ron in Sydney, Australia
1959 Series 62 Coupe
1970 Eldorado

ronw

Here's a photo
Ron
Ron in Sydney, Australia
1959 Series 62 Coupe
1970 Eldorado

Snochico

Chris Conklin

Quote from: Snochico on May 11, 2009, 06:49:21 PMThe house I bought last year came with a 1959 Cadillac in the garage.

Really?!? I need more of this story, that's great!  ;D Sorry to hi-jack the post, but please explain; did you know it was there? Was it a selling point or incentive? Convertible, sedan, coupe? Any photos available? Post 'em please (or take some).

Also, did you get the skirts off to remove the rear tires (saw your other post about this)?
Chris Conklin

ronw

I agree - we want photos.
I only found an old fishing rod in the garage when I bought my house.
Ron
Ron in Sydney, Australia
1959 Series 62 Coupe
1970 Eldorado

Otto Skorzeny

I found a Coleman Personal 16 Cooler  and two antique Coca Cola glasses when I bought my house. I thought I was doing good!
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

snochico

Sorry for the late response.  The car was part of the purchase- it was kind of like a free gift with the house.  It needs a lot of work.  It's a 4 door sedan.  I don't know too much about it.  Here are some pics:

share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=1AYsmjhm2ZMWPK

Otto Skorzeny

fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Stampie

I can understand throwing in a 59 for free.  If it had been a 60 they would have taken it with them.

Stampie

PS - I got a free TV and a WWII bond poster with my house.
If... the machine of government... is of such a nature that it requires you to be the agent of injustice to another, then, I say, break the law.  ~Henry David Thoreau, On the Duty of Civil Disobediance, 1849

If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law respectable.  ~Louis D. Brandeis

DinoBob

Wow. That body is rough. Too bad. That NY plate must be a hotly desired one. The car looks like it was pretty solid but left in a damp environment for a long time.
Bob Belloff

jaxops

What a deal!  I got 2 oil stains in the garage when I bought my house!  Oh yes!  I also got a pair of grumpy "hermits" as neighbors on one side too!  Yea!
I think I'd rather have a rough antique car!

It looks really bad, but you never know. It looks like it was in the livery service with those extra Lincoln-like or truck fender mirrors.   I would guess that sedan parts for that would be available in Arizona or the Cadillac King Junkyard ("Used Parts Source", sorry!). http://www.cadillacking.com/.  I saw about 5 or 6 1959 sedans listed.  Let us know if you "go the route" to fix it or what.
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

Gunnar

It may not be as bad as it looks, actually. I've seen rougher bodies restored, believe it or not.
Gunnar S. Valdimarsson
CLC 24352
1964 Coupe de Ville

Marc1960coupe

It really looks great... for a free car. Are you keeping it?
Past:
1997 DeVille
1999 Concours

Present:
1960 Series 62 Coupe

Chris Conklin

Quote from: Michael Stamps on May 17, 2009, 06:46:40 PMI got a free TV and a WWII bond poster with my house.

I found an old Coca Cola tin sign in our house. There were large school-room size chalk boards in two of the bedrooms. Behind one of them was the old sign, covering a gaping hole and some electrical conduit. Twenty-seven years later, still finishing the remodel.
Chris Conklin