News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

New Bias Ply Tire Question

Started by Vsixteen, May 11, 2009, 07:20:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vsixteen

I want to buy a set of new Bias Ply tires for my 59 Cadillac. I am looking at the BfGoodrich Silvertowns, but the last two sets I bought the whitewalls on all four tires of both sets have cracked. Did anyone else experience such a thing? I am wondering if it is my source, I bought a set from them about 5 years ago and they are fine.
Any thoughts??
Thanks
Steve
1958 Coupe De Ville
1958 Sedan De Ville
1958 Convertible
1959 Convertible CLC Senior & AACA Senior

Virgil Perkins #19943

For what it's worth, I worked in tire recapping in the late 50's and early 60's, where we would buy and take in casings (take off tires when new tires replaced the worn ones) and Goodrich whitewalls were checked and rough more often than not back then. Would have thought that problem would been long gone. The tires that cracked on you may have had a lengthy shelf life, as the checking usually happened with aging. If the checking or cracking isn't severe, they can be buffed to a smooth surface, but it takes proper buffing discs, steady hands and good eyes to avoid having a lumpy sidewall. Have you checked the DOT code for the date your tires were made?

Lyle Kuhlmann

Steve,

I have been researching replacement tires for my '39 LaSalle and the decision whether to go with radials or the bias ply. I found this website had a lot of good general information.
http://www.dbtires.com/

jeff1956

before i switched to radials on my 56 i had remington cushionaires and they cracked as well.  i bought my set of radials from diamondback and have not had a single issue plus the car drives wonderfully.  i know the debate but radials make the drive so much nicer and i drive my car about every nice weekend at highway speeds and never had an issue in the 6 yrs ive ran radials....

jeff

Otto Skorzeny

I've had two sets of Coker Classic bias ply (4.25" www). I got 10,000 miles on each set and never had cracking or performance issues. I now have a set of Coker radials. They handle better (in most cases) but don't look nearly as good as the Bias Plys.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

35-709

I've been tooting Diamondback's horn for some time now.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

jaxops

Quote from: jeff1956 on May 20, 2009, 06:18:30 PM
before i switched to radials on my 56 i had remington cushionaires and they cracked as well.  i bought my set of radials from diamondback and have not had a single issue plus the car drives wonderfully.  i know the debate but radials make the drive so much nicer and i drive my car about every nice weekend at highway speeds and never had an issue in the 6 yrs ive ran radials....

jeff

Yeah Jeff!  I did the same.  I've had my Diamondbacks for 4 years.
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA