News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Follow-up on voltage regulators

Started by John Barry [CLC17027], May 12, 2009, 10:24:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Barry [CLC17027]

This pertains specifically to a regulator for a pre-war car (specifically, a '40 LaSalle) and therefore to a 6 volt positive ground system.  I know that a voltage regulator fresh out of the box (so to speak) needs to be polarized once it's mounted on the firewall and presumably wired.  I don't know what that involves, though.  Could someone please give me a step-by-step guide as to what I need to do?  I've heard it's pretty simple but I've never done it before.

Thanks in advance.

J. Gomez

John,

If you do a search you will find several postings discussing polarizing the generator (see last link below). Meanwhile here are a few Tech Tips sites.

Good luck..!

http://www.starautoelectric.com/Technical.htm
http://web.utk.edu/~tprather/FoothillsTractorClub/TechTips/PolarizeGenerator.html
http://www.cadillaclasalleclub.org/forum/index.php/topic,105681.0.html
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Ron Meining

Actually. the generator needs polorized when replaced but a regulator does not.
1940 7529 Sedan Convertible

Doug Houston

To add to the above statement, the generator must be polarized if it has been off of the car, or is a new or rebuilt part.

One other precaution to observe, is that if there is a radio interference ncondenser on the generator, it must be connnected to the armature (large screw) terminal of the generator, and not to the field terminal. I have seen this done, and the regulator was ruined in a matter of minutes.
38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Guys,

The KISS principle is as follows:
If it is a General Motors System one connects the Battery Terminal to the Armature Terminal of the Voltage Regulator -- for 2 seconds or so. This then polarizes the generator.

How hard can this be?

John W
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

Glen

The confusion stems from the fact that the procedure is done on the regulator terminals.  It is easy to think you are polarizing the regulator when no such procedure is necessary.  It is only done at that point because the terminals are easily accessible and close together. 

Glen 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

John Barry [CLC17027]

Got a replacement regulator and installed it last evening, including that momentary polarizing action described above and elsewhere.  As of this writing, all seems to be in order.  I'll know more in about 54 hours after a 60+ mile round trip to a show outside Wilmington, DE.
John Barry (CLC 17027)
Now-retired editor/Publisher of the Valley Forge Region newsletter, The Goddess
1940 La Salle series 50 four door sedan