News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

73 Deville Upper Control Arm Removal?

Started by RobW, May 12, 2009, 12:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobW

Need some tips. I'm trying to remove the upper control arms on my 73 CDV so I can change the bushings.
Actually I don't think they need to come out. I just want to remove the two bolts that mount the shaft onto the spring tower and rotate the arm out so I can use my control arm bushing press "on the car".
Anyway I can get to the nut on the driver's side rear bolt by using an extension and socket up through the tower. The front bolt is blocked partially by the spring. There is an opening at the top of the tower that looks like I should be able to slide either an open end or box wrench in to hold the nut. The bolt is 3/4 so I'm thinking the nut is 11/16? Problem is the nut is up in that recess a bit and I can't seem to get a wrench on it.
I'm sure someone here has done this without removing the spring. Any tips?
BTW, the service manual just says to remove the upper ball joint then remove the two bolts holding the shaft to the tower and remove the arm. Then make a spacer, use 2 kent-moore tools and a shop press. I have the OTC press which lets you do it on the car so to speak by leaving the ball joint connected and swinging the arm out.
Rob Wirsing

Guidematic

As far as I know, the spring has to be removed to access the bolts.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69

RobW

Service manual makes no mentioon of removing either the shock or spring. One of the bolts on each side are easily accessible with a long extension and socket going up from the bottom. The front bolt is very close to the spring. I'm thinking since there's an opening there and the manual doesn't say to remove the spring that I probably don't have to. Maybe an offset wrench? Or maybe a big pry bar and try to pry the spring toward the rear of car? I'm not sure. That's why I'm asking. Surely someone here has done this? ???
Rob Wirsing

Guidematic

I have replaced the upper control arm bushings on my '70 without removing the springs, but I do remember replacing them on a '74 many years ago and having to remove the spring.

I accessed the nut on my '70 via an extension, flex joint and short socket, if that helps.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69

RobW

Took my el camino in for a wheel alignment today after replacing all the front end parts over the weekend. Was asking the shop owner about my 73 caddy upper bushings and how it looks like the spring needs to come out but that the 73 caddy service manual makes no mention of removing the springs. He said he has a special wrench to get that bolt out without removing the springs. Said he'll do them for about $100 per side.
Rob Wirsing

Tom Magdaleno

Interesting.  What is holding the spring down if you remove the upper arm?  All I know is that springs are one of those things that could kill you if you are not careful.  I would put some of those screw spring compressors on the spring to keep it from shooting out. 
Tom
'38 Cadillac V16
'71 Buick Riviera
'65 Chevy Truck
'56 Packard Super Clipper

Ted in Olympia WA

You would sure want a jack under the lower control arm before you remove the upper.  If you did this you shoudl be okay, make sure you leave the jack there until you put it back together.

TED
Selling used Eldorado Parts from 1971-1978.  Member Number 25659.

Otto Skorzeny

Loop a strong chain through it too. I've seen spring compressors break (they're all made in China now)
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

RobW

Yeah of course the lower arm needs to be supported to keep the spring in place. That was never the original question. The original question was why did the 1973 cadillac service manual say the spring didn't need to be removed. I was originally asking how to get to that forward bolt that the coil is so close to.  For $200 I'll let the shop do it.
Rob Wirsing

Sweede64

You can do it, i have modified an open vrench to fit, some welding, bending and grinding vill do the trick.
Thomas Karlström