News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

37 LaSalle under body color

Started by markl, May 12, 2009, 05:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markl

While agonizing over the body color choice (this sedan was originally Peruvian Grey), it dawned on me that I don't know if the underside of the body was originally body color, chassis black or unpainted.  When taking this body off the frame, I could detect no evidence of the original paint, only some overspray from later re-painting efforts.  The only place I found paint was on the underside of the transmission cover that also holds the shifter boot.  This was decidedly black, preserved no doubt by grease and oil from the engine and trans.

If if is black, what modern black have you all been using?  I've picked a dull chassis black for the frame that will be powder coated, but I need some guidance on what this might be in a solvent based acrylic enamel or similar spray application material.

If it was unpainted, god forbid, what are other restorers doing?  The entire body has been bead blasted, so I can do anything, except leave it in raw blasted metal!

Mark Lowery, CLC #25216

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Mark,

I beliive that the underside of the feners are black. I have a 37 LaSalle coupe that had the fenders as black, and when I purchased a parts car the inside fenders looked like they had black paint on them.

The hood, again I belleve is painted body color outside and primer inside. I hav painted inside and outside the body  color, as it looks better and who will really know what is correct.

john W
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

markl

Quote from: John Washburn CLC 1067 on May 12, 2009, 09:47:47 PM
Mark,

I beliive that the underside of the feners are black. I have a 37 LaSalle coupe that had the fenders as black, and when I purchased a parts car the inside fenders looked like they had black paint on them.

The hood, again I belleve is painted body color outside and primer inside. I hav painted inside and outside the body  color, as it looks better and who will really know what is correct.

john W
John,
Thanks for the reply, and am I correct to assume that it was chassis black, or was it perhaps something closer to gloss black?

Mark Lowery

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Mark,

I don't know about the black. I used Bill Hirsch's miracle black on the interior of the fenders once I blasted them to bare metal. They look good and resist rust.

Good luck
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series