News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

84 Eldo cruise control failure

Started by DaveShreiner CLC#23834, May 13, 2009, 09:47:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveShreiner CLC#23834

The cruise control worked fine when I first bought this car but soon stopped working.  The yellow light on the cruise control dash comes on but the set swith on the turn signal level does not bring on the green light.  Diagnostics show a 7.6 code failure for the set switch.  Testing the F pin on the orange connector to the computer shows it always has power when the ignition is on and the set switch has no effect.  The manual says to replace the turn signal lever/switch, but no replacements are to be had from Cadillac.  Is it possible to repair?  Any suggestions?
Dave Shreiner
CLC#23834

jeff1956

try an auto parts store....they probably have it aftermarket. 

Guidematic

On top of that they are colour coded to the rest of the car. They are easy enough to replace, though.

You might try spraying a bit of contact cleaner into the switch. That may help. But I have taken them apart and fixed them. It's a very touchy situation to do so, though. Be careful.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69

jeff1956

i checked w advance auto and they can get the switch for you for less than 30 bucks....if you dont have advance any other store can probably get it.

jeff

jeff1956

im using mobile so i cant modify my posts...i have a nib genuine gm multifunction switch that i bought for an 83 coupe....not sure if they are the same. if they are and u want a new genuine gm switch....i will sell it and get the aftermarket for mine.  their look and function should be identical though. again not sure if 83 cdv switch and 84 eldos are the same....the new lever will have to be painted to match as it came in blk only when i purchased it years ago....ill dig it out if your interested...i believe i gave 50. for it.....40 plus shipping if itll work for your application....if i can get to the car to get it out of the glovebox...lol

jeff

DaveShreiner CLC#23834

Thanks Jeff and Mike.  I will try your various suggestions starting with a simple spray of contact cleaner into the switch.  We do have an Advance Auto nearby, so I will check with them.  If all else fails, I will ask Jeff to find me the one he has.

Thanks again.   :)

Dave
Dave Shreiner
CLC#23834