News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1948 Cadillac 61 series sedan

Started by cadillac60, May 14, 2009, 06:53:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadillac60

I am having trouble trying to figure out the signal light system.  I did have 3 of the 4 signals working but over a short period of time the little 9amp fuse would blow. Now if I just try to signal the fuse blows.  I checked the wiring to the best of my ability & do not see any thing that would cause a short. Would the flasher be a suspect? If any one can give me some idea's how to remedy this problem I would certainly appreciate it.

Bruce
Bruce Watson

Otto Skorzeny

That always sucks. Electrical problems don't usually have short cuts to solving them. All you can do is get out the multi-meter and start testing.

Start with brand new bulbs of the correct type in all light sockets. Even if a bulb looks good it might not be. Don't substitute similar bulbs, etc. Make sure they're the right ones.

Clean all the sockets and contacts.  A little emery cloth with work.

Follow the diagram in the manual and check to make sure all ground connections are fast and clean. There will be a ground at all four lights as well as for each light on the dash. Obviously make sure all the wiring is in good shape. I've seen old brittle wires break inside the insulation.

Check the dash switch and all the terminals.

If you can bypass the switch, you might be able to rule it out or rule it in as a culprit. If all the lights come on and work correctly when jumping the switch, the switch is the problem.

By flasher, are you talking about the little cylindrical thing that makes the signals blink? It probably wouldn't hurt to put a new one in there to see what happens. Usually when those are defective the blinkers don't work but they don't blow the fuses.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

cadillac60

Thanks very much for your help on the signal light problem. As it turned out it was one of the bulbs, as you said it might look good but! I am a happy camper for now!!

Bruce
Bruce Watson

Otto Skorzeny

I love it when things work out easy (and cheap); especially when it's the first thing on the trouble shooting checklist!
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE