News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

'89 Brougham Headliner Questions

Started by Robert Meyers, May 16, 2009, 05:19:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Meyers

Greetings,

Removed tired (sagging, mould damaged) headliner to access and correct completely plugged sun roof drains. (3 of 4 plugged solid)

The hard plastic? substrate to which a layer of foam and then the fabric are glued to is cracked and damaged. This was exaggerated by me upon removal from the vehicle. (Next time, seats are coming out..)

Question: Is a replacement for this substrate available anywhere? If not, any suggestions on how to patch and repair?

My intentions are to sort out this substrate, then bring it to an upholstery shop to have it covered.

Many thanks for any ideas you might have..

Robert
1988 & '89 Broughams. 2 X 1992 Fleetwood. 1956 Packard Patrician. 1978 Peugeot 504 Wagon. 1975 Ford Custom 500 Wagon, 1972 Lincoln Continental.

RobW

The material comes with the foam backing. Depending on how busted up your shell is an upholstery shop might be able to fix it. They usually cover the cracks with tape and then glue the new fabric over it. Personally, I'd look for another. I think any full size RWD GM sedan from 1980 & up would fit.
New ones are available for certain cars like 78-88 "G" bodies, & Camaros/Firebirds,etc. Not sure about caddies.
Rob Wirsing

Robert Meyers

Rob, many thanks for your reply. Found an upholstery shop nearby explained to them my predicament. No problem for them to fix the damaged portions, add new where pieces were missing, etc, so I'll give them a go!

Keep well.

Robert
1988 & '89 Broughams. 2 X 1992 Fleetwood. 1956 Packard Patrician. 1978 Peugeot 504 Wagon. 1975 Ford Custom 500 Wagon, 1972 Lincoln Continental.