News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Just saying hello... as a new member

Started by Marc1960coupe, May 20, 2009, 08:53:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc1960coupe

I just bought a 1960 Series 62 two door hard top, and am excited to start the work on the car. This is my first major restoration but I have done some work in the past on a 67 Chevy with my uncle and father. As of right now it is a driver but needs some attending to make it presentable. The body was repainted and seems to be pretty solid for the year with some rust on floor. It has been repainted to white from it's original color but I think I will keep it that color but go with a more pearl white or cream. I plan on stripping the body and starting from scratch because there was a dent on the passanger fender that the previous owner did a quick fix on. The motor runs strong as is the tranny, having new exhaust, rebuilt carb, and battery. It seems to be the original dark blue color, and even though it runs smooth I want to restore once body is completed. The previous owner replaced all the brake lines and rebuilt the brakes.

The bad: any help with locating a good place to purchase these rebuilt parts or working ones would be great

- After a close inspection I noticed that there is a hole in the rear floor corner behind the seat, passanger fender has some bondo from a dent, general small rust and bubbling in common spots for the make.
- The wiper motor, horn, radio and other interior instruments are not working with switches stuck from lack of use.
- The power steering is leaking and I need to find a rebuit one to replace it.
- Windows are hard to roll up and down but with do function and with some effort and lube now move but both rear have a hard time closing and setting in their position.

Any help with locating rebuilt wiper motor, power steering pump would be great... also  comments about the car are welcome too.
I am in the miilitary and currently in the Seattle area with the car.

thanx,
Marc
Past:
1997 DeVille
1999 Concours

Present:
1960 Series 62 Coupe

grinch

Congratulations, Marc, and welcome.  That looks like a great foundation to start your restoration.  You will find endless help here on this site.  A great bunch of guys.  With you being on the west coast, the parts will be endless.  You definitely won't have to look far.  Don't worry much about that. 
Peter Mason CLC #24665
Charlotte, NC
1968 Deville Convertible in progress
1989 Sedan DeVille

David #19063

David #19063
1996 DeVille Concours

Doug Smith

Hi Marc,
Welcome to the Cadillac Club. I will quickly say that I have a 1961 Cadillac Town Sedan (series 62)  and have been chipping away at her for a couple years doing this and that trying to restore it and have found two places that have been of great assistance when its time to locate parts. Great people who will help you find anything and everything for your Cadillac even if they don't carry it themselves.
Best of luck and keep us updated with photos etc.

1.  McVey's Cadillac (913)-722-0707
2. Then and Now (781)-335-8860
D. Smith

Marc1960coupe

Thanx for the info and the replies... Are there any clubs near my area or classic cadillac groups. My buddy has a 64 sedan deville and we were wondering about that as well. 
Past:
1997 DeVille
1999 Concours

Present:
1960 Series 62 Coupe

quadfins

Greetings, and welcome to the fins club. You'll find loads of help (and sympathy) from club members.

As for parts, most of the mechanicals can be obtained at normal auto parts stores. I bought a rebuilt wiper motor from Advance Auto years ago, and NAPA probably can help, too. Power steeting pump rebuild kits are also available. Fo these and other obscure parts, I often go to Dans Classic Auto parts.

http://www.dansclassic.com

I've also had good servioce from McVeys, and USA  - remember that many of these parts were used on other full size GM cars.

http://www.usapartssupply.com

For more obscure items, post on the buy/sell forum, and eBay is always chock-full of good things.

Can you post a pic of the trim tag, or let us know what is on it? Then we can decipher and let you know amny more details about your car.

Best wishes,

Jim
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

jaxops

Welcome Marc.  Great car.  I love the 1960 models.  For your switches and electronics, horns, radios, etc, I used D+M in South Carolina: http://www.dandmrestoration.com/
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

Marc1960coupe

Thanx again for info. I have been on here for a while today and did find many helpful blogs. it's great to see so many classic cadillac owners here.

My 60 is a Series 62 2DR... vin # 60G121437

Past:
1997 DeVille
1999 Concours

Present:
1960 Series 62 Coupe

Joe Manna

Hi Marc,welcome to the club! You have a nice piece to start with.I would love to own a 60 myself.You will find many members that will be able to help you with any questions you might have.

As far as a region goes,check the "regions" link on this home page.You will have to scroll down to your part of the country.Did you join the national CLC?.If you did,than you can join a region.Or 2,maybe 3.You can join as many as you want.

Again,WELCOME to the wonderful world of Caddys.

Joe Manna
Raritan River Region Events Coordinator
1951 Chevrolet Bel-Air-50's Style Custom
1963 Cadillac 4 Window Sedan deVille
1991 Cadillac DW69 Brougham,All original and used daily
2015 Cadillac SRX