News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

80 Eldorado A/C not working.....??

Started by EldoradoRedd1, May 23, 2009, 08:07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EldoradoRedd1

Hey Guys i've been working on the body f/da past several weekends & noticed that the blower is always blowing towards the floor. Tryed my A/C but could'nt even get it to blow out the vents, Is this a common thing f/79-85 Eldorados?
S.Rhame

Tod- NTCLC

No, it is not common.

Air directed thru the floor vents is the "relaxed" position of the system, meaning that if all of the vacuum is purged from the climate control system, then the vent doors will be in the floor vent position.

Ultimately, what you are describing is a situation where there is no vacuum being directed to the vent doors when the system should be calling for the doors to direct air to the dash.

The first thing you need to do is verify that the vacuum supply line from the engine to the climate control system is attached, and that you have good vacuum getting to the system - this line runs from vacuum source (depends on the engine, but usually from a port on the carburator or intake) thru the firewall and to the controller. 

If you have a good supply of vacuum, then put the system in defrost mode - does it direct air to the windshield?  If yes, then the vacuum is getting to the system. If no, then you likely have a controller issue (the controller is NOT the dash unit that displays the temp. and function buttons, but a separate module that ultimately directs the vacuum based on input from the dash unit). Now, put the climate control on 60 and automatic - is air out the dash vents? If yes then you are good, if No, then again, the controller is suspect. 

Again, all of this assumes that you do have good vacuum supplied from the engine to the controller. Check these first and let us know what you find.

EldoradoRedd1

Quote from: Tod- NTCLC on May 26, 2009, 11:48:52 AM
No, it is not common.

Air directed thru the floor vents is the "relaxed" position of the system, meaning that if all of the vacuum is purged from the climate control system, then the vent doors will be in the floor vent position.

Ultimately, what you are describing is a situation where there is no vacuum being directed to the vent doors when the system should be calling for the doors to direct air to the dash.

The first thing you need to do is verify that the vacuum supply line from the engine to the climate control system is attached, and that you have good vacuum getting to the system - this line runs from vacuum source (depends on the engine, but usually from a port on the carburator or intake) thru the firewall and to the controller. 

If you have a good supply of vacuum, then put the system in defrost mode - does it direct air to the windshield?  If yes, then the vacuum is getting to the system. If no, then you likely have a controller issue (the controller is NOT the dash unit that displays the temp. and function buttons, but a separate module that ultimately directs the vacuum based on input from the dash unit). Now, put the climate control on 60 and automatic - is air out the dash vents? If yes then you are good, if No, then again, the controller is suspect. 

Again, all of this assumes that you do have good vacuum supplied from the engine to the controller. Check these first and let us know what you find.
Hey thanks f/da reply. Air was coming thru the vents then it stopped. I think my best bet is to take it back to the shop that did the repairs. I mean i spent over a $1k in repairs. But again thank U f/da details this was very helpful
S.Rhame