News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

headlights on chime/buzzer not working

Started by mycoupedeville, May 23, 2009, 01:43:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mycoupedeville

hi, I own a 1980 Cadillac Coupe and recently I've been forgetting to turn off the lights; luckily it wasn't long enough to drain battery. Anyways, I remember it used to buzz or chime when I opened the door as a reminder that they are on. Does anyone know which wire or where to look? I know there's a panel of relays next to the fuse box. It does buzz but that's because the key is in the ignition still. I can not find anything in my service manual, or in my troubleshooting manual regarding this; unless there isn't one and it's something else but if anyone can help I would really appreciate. I loved the responses I received regarding my "yellow whitewalls" and hope to receive the same. Thanks ;D
We all make mistakes, that is why pencils have erasers.

EAM 17806

I'm having the exact same problem with my 76 Coupe de Ville. I just cannot imagine Cadillac would overlook this warning buzzer when headlights are left on! Come on you guys out there, get the answer because this query has been going on for the last 14 months with no definite answer.  EAM
Ev Marabian

1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 1990 Pontiac Bonneville and 1996 Buick Skylark

Guidematic

The '80 uses a chime module with inputs from the door switches and light switch. Also there is an input from the key in switch in the column. You'll have to check some wiring to really find out why, or you can just replace the module. They do go bad.

If there was a headlamps an warning in '76, it had to be optional. I don't recall seeing it. Maybe it was part of Sentinal or Illuminated Entry. My '75 did not have such a warning.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69

Glen

A lights on alarm is easy to add if you need it.  All you need is a 12 volt sounding device (I used a Mallory Sonalert) and a diode.  You wire it up from the ignition circuit to the panel light circuit. 

Ignition off & lights off â€" no power at either terminal = no current flow or sound.
Ignition on & lights on â€" equal power at both terminals = no current flow or sound.
Ignition on & lights off â€" diode is reversed biased = no current flow or sound.
Ignition off & lights on â€" diode is forward biased = current flows and buzzer buzzes.

I put this on the wife’s ’68 Chevelle after she ran the battery down three times in a month by leaving the lights on.  I used the Sonalert which turned out to be very loud.  It was only triggered twice that I know of.  After that she always checked the lights to be sure they were off before she turned off the car. Even in the middle of the day.   :D

Glen
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104