News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

wipers acting weird

Started by mycoupedeville, May 23, 2009, 02:00:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mycoupedeville

Again it's me, I know you guys are probably saying to get rid of car or something.....but this cars been good to me for the past 10 years. Don't really use them as it hardly rains here; live in El Paso, TX and today and yesterday it poured.
I have replaced the wiper motor twice, replaced the switch with an NOS switch and still nothing. Problem is when off sometimes it'll turn on and when on can not get them to turn off or do anything. When I do turn them on to delay it'll do one sweep and that's it, when set to medium nothing and to high nothing. A friend of mine suggests it the circuitry board inside??? (it's the one with the pump nipples; where the hoses get attach to)I found one on eBay and I showed it to him and he says that's what I need. Any help would be really appreciated, I love my car and plan to hold on to it many years to come as you guys have done with your cars.
Thanks ;D
We all make mistakes, that is why pencils have erasers.

Sweede64

I think its the ground, check the strip and make sure its in direct contact whit the bare metal.
If it fails the motor starts to live its own life.
Start testing with an jumpercable betweene the motor and negative bat.
Thomas Karlström

Glen

What year car do you have?    Is it an Eldorado or ???
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Guidematic

OK, I think it's an '80 by the other post you made.

You'll need to properly diagnose the problem. There are components in there that can become defective that can cause the same issues. The relay, the board, the switch and so on.

One method is to have known good components at your disposal and swap them over until you find which one has gone kaput.

But, the wipers not shutting off can be caused by moisture on the board, or the system out of time.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

MyCee,
Not to do a diagnosis from 600 miles away, but what I found 0on my cars with the intermittent wipers was typically in the relay/circuitry for the pulse wiping.  After you do "the dis re" on all the removable connections (disconnect, clean the contact area, check the solderless terminals, and re-connect them), and you still have the problem, since you DO get some reaction out of the motor and your wiper switch, I would seriously look into replacing the wiper delay assembly, as you said, located under the plastic cover of the WS washer pump.
They are still available, abeit quite pricey .
Greg
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

mycoupedeville

Quote from: Glen on May 23, 2009, 04:26:19 AM
What year car do you have?    Is it an Eldorado or ???
It's an 1980 Cadillac Coupe deVille

mycoupedeville

got them fixed already!!!!!!!!!! :D :o Went to O'Reilly and they had what I seen on eBay but for less. I replaced the delay circuitry board. When you remove the cover to the wiper motor, well first remove the wires, then the cover and thats the part I replaced. All I have to do is adjust the left wiper arm; hits the edge of window trim and the passenger side doesn't swipe that well; wiper arm might need to be bent so that the wiper blade makes contact on windshield. But I appreciate those who replied and made their suggestions.
All that's left is the cruise control and that headlight alarm/chime/buzzer if it has on or not.
;)

mycoupedeville

Quote from: "Cadillac Kid"  Greg Surfas 15364 on May 23, 2009, 12:57:59 PM
MyCee,
Not to do a diagnosis from 600 miles away, but what I found 0on my cars with the intermittent wipers was typically in the relay/circuitry for the pulse wiping.  After you do "the dis re" on all the removable connections (disconnect, clean the contact area, check the solderless terminals, and re-connect them), and you still have the problem, since you DO get some reaction out of the motor and your wiper switch, I would seriously look into replacing the wiper delay assembly, as you said, located under the plastic cover of the WS washer pump.
They are still available, abeit quite pricey .
Greg
this is what the problem was, didn't seem like it was pricey. I paid $53 for mine at O'Reilly and I took in my old one. On eBay I've seen it up to $80 and that's with shipping! :o

The Tassie Devil(le)

It is surprising what some people will pay on ebay for something that is available at a store.

Some people haven't a clue what stuff costs, and they also get caught up in the frenzy of the auction.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon