News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1956 Engine Power Steering Pump and Oil Filter Brackets

Started by Ronald Draper, May 26, 2009, 11:19:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronald Draper

Hi to All;

I am looking for pictures and/or diagrams  and/or descriptions of the 1956 engine power steering pump and oil filter brackets. :-[  The shop manual has a limited view of the these brackets and the 1959 parts manual does not seem to cover the brackets in either the engine or steering sections. ???

Thanks for any comments.
Ron

jeff1956

i wont be able to take pics of the ones on my 56 until later tonight around 6:30pm....if no one has posted by then ill upload them for you

jeff

Otto Skorzeny

Here are a bunch of pix of my '56.

Some might be duplicates but I'm going with the scatter-gun approach rather than pick through them one by one.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Otto Skorzeny

more
fward

Otto Skorzeny

more
fward

Otto Skorzeny

more
fward

Otto Skorzeny

Sorry for the doubles. All this back and forth business makes me forget where I left off.
fward

Otto Skorzeny

This is the last one , I think.
fward

Otto Skorzeny

fward

Ronald Draper

I love the pictures and they both answer my question on the brackets (there appears to be a bracket that braces the the front bracket to the rear bracket) and provide additional questions.
1)  Details on mounting the A6 compressor in place of the A5;
2)  the distibutor point window is on the right side mine is on the left?

Thanks as always - a series of pictures is worth volumns of words.

Ron

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: Ronald Draper on May 26, 2009, 11:41:42 PM
2)  the distibutor point window is on the right side mine is on the left?

On my 3 engines ('56 and '57) the window is on the driver side.

Roger
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

jeff1956

Otto,

I noticed in some of your pictures that your heater hoses are routed differently than mine...or it could be that I am just not seeing the pictures correctly.  My car has a tee on the drivers fenderwell and it splits off and goes several ways.....i'm attaching a picture of my engine bay....no laughing guys.  I drive my car a lot, so it's no show-stopper under hood.  Anyways my connections are shown in the pics....I was just wondering if this is correct?  My last 56 now that I remember, didn't have this tee either.  One side note as well or question.....the intake manifold on my 56 is burning the color off, I sprayed it with 500 degree paint, so could this be an issue like a cracked intake?  I thought I read about that somewhere...I've also got a ticking which I thought was an exhaust leak...maybe it's the intake?  Or do I just need to get higher rated paint?  The engine has never been rebuilt and is original.   Thanks!

Jeff

Otto Skorzeny

Mounting the A6 in place of the A5 was not as difficult as a lot of people think. I used all the 1956 brackets for the ac system and all the 1956 pulleys. The rear mounting bracket came from a later model Cadillac with the same engine family and A6 mounted on right. I think that's up to 1962.

I honestly don't have an answer for you on the distributor cap. The engine had never been out of the car until I got it and it got put back together the way it came out.

Jeff, your engine bay looks fine to me. I too drive my car a lot. In fact, I don't own a new car.

Your paint should not be burning off. I use the Bill Hirsch rattle can on my engine and it's fine.

The manual shows a routing of the heater hoses. I don't have mine in front of me just now.

The ticking could be an exhaust leak or it could be a lifter or valve or any number of things. If it's an exhaust leak, it should be pretty easy to find and fix.

fward

35-709

Are you sure your heat riser valve is not stuck closed?  That will direct exhaust through the intake under the carb at all times instead of only when the engine is cold.  Sooner or later this will lead to exhaust leaks at the intake manifold gasket right at the center port on each side where the exhaust passes through.  It also leads to intake manifold cracks in this area and erodes the metal away from the intake manifold flange at the center ports as the hot exhaust leaks past the gasket.  Be certain that troublesome heat riser valve is working or either get it working with penetrating oil and make sure it keeps working, or eliminate it all together.  In my experience it is not unusual for the paint to burn off the intake at the center runner where the exhaust gases pass through.  As Forrest suggested the ticking could be a lifter or an exhaust leak.  If the ticking goes away fairly quickly it is more likely to be a lifter, if it goes away gradually as the engine warms or gets quieter but does not go away I would be more suspicious of an exhaust leak at a crack or bad gasket.

The heat riser topic gets discussed here with some frequency, go here ---
http://www.cadillaclasalleclub.org/forum/index.php/topic,105854.0.html
to read more about them and pay particular attention to the last three posts there.
Geoff N.

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

jeff1956

i looked on the drivers side exhaust manifold and couldnt see a heat riser there....couldve been i didnt look hard enough...the paint burning off is within the past year....so i know something is going on. the tick isnt a lifter or valve....i will take the car to town and have them lift it to get a better view if its there ill have it removed.

Ronald Draper

A follow up question on the oil filter,
I have a leak between the oil filter lid and the hold down nut.  Is there a copper or other type of washer between the nut flange and the lid to make a good seal?
Thanks
Ron