News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

option codes, '70 Deville

Started by CadZZilla, May 26, 2009, 03:05:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CadZZilla

I'm the happy owner of my first Cadillac, a '70 Sedan Deville 4 door hardtop

there's 3 option codes that I need ID'd , they are: EY,SM,KI. also, is it unusual to see a Cadillac without cruise control?
Jeff Wecker
Abilene, Kansas

1970 Cadillac Sedan Deville 4 door HT

Warren Rauch

You have more option codes than three. The percent s after each option are from Ward s yearbook  1971 , in which they list the 1970 production of some options (note : Eldorado is a separate make)
   E = soft ray glass (tinted)  99.3%
   Y= power seat 4 or 6  way 94.7%   
   S= dual comfort seat -no listing
   M=Power door locks 77.0%
   K= air conditioning 98.4%
   I- no listing , but 1= Radio stereo am/fm/ signal seeking    55.4%
   Cruise control was only installed on 20.2% of 1970 Cadillacs at the Factory,but likely many more at the Dealer.                  In my 1970 Data book it states that Dual Comfort seats are standard on the Brougham and optional at extra charge on Sixty Special and all DeVille models except Sedan De Ville. Since your car has this option , I'm confused. Warren                                                                                                     

CadZZilla

Quote from: Warren Rauch on May 26, 2009, 07:19:13 PM
  You have more option codes than three. The percent s after each option are from Ward s yearbook  1971 , in which they list the 1970 production of some options (note : Eldorado is a separate make)
   E = soft ray glass (tinted)  99.3%
   Y= power seat 4 or 6  way 94.7%   
   S= dual comfort seat -no listing
   M=Power door locks 77.0%
   K= air conditioning 98.4%
   I- no listing , but 1= Radio stereo am/fm/ signal seeking    55.4%
   Cruise control was only installed on 20.2% of 1970 Cadillacs at the Factory,but likely many more at the Dealer.                  In my 1970 Data book it states that Dual Comfort seats are standard on the Brougham and optional at extra charge on Sixty Special and all DeVille models except Sedan De Ville. Since your car has this option , I'm confused. Warren                                                                                                     

that could have very well been a "1" instead of an "I"  as for the seats, I have no clue either, they look like regular cloth seats to me
Jeff Wecker
Abilene, Kansas

76eldo

Back then cars were built to order, so it's likely that the original owner just didn't need cruise control.

I have a 76 Eldorado convertible and it was ordered in the fall of 75 (I have the original paperwork on the order).  No cruise, and no twilight headlight option.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Warren, you must have a hellava reference library. As usual, you gave correct info. I think this is why you're confused. Cadillac made 2 sedan Devilles in 70 & other years. The hardtop SDV, NO post, & the SDV, post. The  post SDV also seems to be limited on options. I think it had a straight across seat back that was not available split. Here is a data plate for discussion. It's a 70 FW with a blue interior & top with a dash for the SO  paint code. BTW, I'm looking at 5 data plates & ALL have the I, it's NOT a 1, on them. They also all have code N which is shoulder belts, even on my convertible. Shoulder belts were standard on all closed cars. ??? Here are the options: EXV SM KIBN. The B IS a B. OK guys, have at it. Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

CadZZilla

Mine is a SDV hardtop, model 68349.
wonder where the build sheet would be ? here is what My cowl tag says:

ST 70  68349  FWD  44278  BDY

TR 320  24  J   PNT

01D  EY  SM  KI
Jeff Wecker
Abilene, Kansas

Ted in Olympia WA

Do you know what % in 1970 had a sunroof?

Thanks

TED
Selling used Eldorado Parts from 1971-1978.  Member Number 25659.

Guidematic

Due to the plethora of options available to the Cadillac buyer, you could have some oddly optioned cars.

My '70 Fleetwood Brougham does not have cruise or power locks. It did not come with sentinal or dimmers either. But it has most everything else. But it certainly is not as strange as the Fleetwood Brougham I found in a local wreckers. This car was sans all options except for sentinal, which I removed and installed in my car. It was without AC, tilt or telescope, cruise, locks power trunk, and had the standard radio.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Reply to my own post. I'm surprised that none of you data plate guys picked up on a  loaded 70 FW with bucket seats!!! Bob

STDog

Quote from: Bob Hoffmann CLC#96 on May 29, 2009, 09:38:09 PM
Reply to my own post. I'm surprised that none of you data plate guys picked up on a  loaded 70 FW with bucket seats!!! Bob

I'm not a data plate guy, but that is wild.

A Fleetwood with buckets.
Can you say, sign of things to come?

Hey Jeff (CadZZilla), I told these guys would know those code  ;)

Guidematic

Quote from: Bob Hoffmann CLC#96 on May 29, 2009, 09:38:09 PM

Bucket seats? In  Fleetwood?

Part of the Brougham package on the Sixty Special sedan was the inclusion of Dual Comfort seats. Thos was a 40/60 arrangement, with the driver's seat being about the size of an individual seat. I have never even heard of any 1970 Cadillac, save for maybe the Eldorado, that was even available with bucket seats.

I'd like to see some pictures of this car,

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69

Warren Rauch

Sorry  no information on the late introduction Sunroof.
   Here is a list of 1970 option codes.
   A=De-Fogger
  B= Bucket seats ( Eldo only) 1.9% Eldos
  C=cruise 20.2 % Cad.37.5 Eldo
  D= door edge guards
  E=soft ray Glass 99.3 Cad,99.5 Eldo
  F=floor mats -rubber
  G=Controlled Differenial 10.9% Cads
  H=trumpet Horn
  I= ???  in 1972 it was a remote right mirrior
  J=Twilight Sentinel
  K=  air  conditioning 98.4 Cad, 99.7 Eldo
  L=level control
M=power door locks 77.0 Cad,88.0 Eldo
  N=shoulder belts front
O=???
  P=trunk mat -rubber
Q=tilt/tele  wheel 63.3%Cad, 87.2 % Eldo                                                                                                                                                                     R=   E vap Emissions Calif.
  S=Dual comfort seats
  T=truck lock remote
  U=Guide matic headlight
  V= right side  power seat ( must order left as well)
  W=whitewall tires 99.3 Cad,99.2 Eldo
  X = ????  in 1971 it was track master (was it avalible in late in 70 model year?)
  Y= left side power seat or power bench 94.7 Cad, 98.9 Eldo
  Z=shoulder belts rear
1=Radio am-fm stereo sigmal seeking 55.4 Cad, 83.5 Eldo
2= radio am-fm signal seeking
3= Radio am-fm
4= Radio rea control -series 75
5=license frame one
6=license frame two
7= filler plate

These are th ordering codes they often don't appear as options on the coel tag. Warren

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Warren, thanks for the info. I have the 70 data book also. It doesn't show X or I. The car was body # 9655, a late car. Maybe it had traction control. As far as the I, we need more input fom other data plates. To answer Mikes request for pictures, I'm afraid that's impossible. I removed the plate from a crusher bound car years ago. I should've paid more attention but... Bob