News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1957 Air Filter Conversion

Started by Jack McClow CLC #15840, May 27, 2009, 06:46:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack McClow CLC #15840

Has anyone found a paper filter element that will fit into a 1957 air cleaner unit?  If so, is it okay to start using a paper filter in place of the oil bath system?

Thanks,

Jack.

Otto Skorzeny

It's just fine to use paper instead of the oil bath. I do so on my '56. ALl that weight bobbling around on top the carburetor was weakening my hold down stud. '57 has a different housing than '56 so someone else will ave to point you in the right direction.

Use the search function (above) on that topic. I bet the answer's already here.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Walter Youshock

There has to be an element, but the lid and mesh element are one piece.  The only way it'd work is to separate the lid from the filter.

If I had an extra filter, I'd try it.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Ohio57-62Sedan

Walter I'm going to give you mine.... just for giggles.... I think I want three duces on my car...LOL I think I may have found more oem oil bath filters here in town... Just dont use quaker state...LMAO.... ;D :D

Walter Youshock

AGAIN--one-year only part and ONLY Cadillac!!!!

And there aren't any in the junkyards.  What happened to all those air cleaners?!?!?!
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Ohio57-62Sedan

Quote from: Walter Youshock on May 27, 2009, 08:58:39 PM
AGAIN--one-year only part and ONLY Cadillac!!!!

And there aren't any in the junkyards.  What happened to all those air cleaners?!?!?!

Now you know I found mine in the Junk yard.. then I found my aircleaner in another junk yard... I must have good junk here in Ohio...

I'll really get you one if you want it..

Jack McClow CLC #15840

Thanks, everybody, for your responses.  I did the "search" before I posted thinking that maybe someone had already been down this path, but I didn't get any results for air filter ....... many other filters were discussed, but nothing related to my question.

I do have a spare air filter unit for the car ....... I will take a look to see what would be involved in separating the pieces ..... and if it would be reversible if I changed my mind.

So the concensus is that using a paper filter will not be harmful to the engine ...... that's a good start ...... and you are correct, there is a lot of weight up there on the carb with all that oil sloshing around.

Thanks,

Jack.

Walter Youshock

Really all it would entail is breaking the spot welds on the lid and filter element.

If I could find an extra lid, I would do it.  I don't want to destroy the filter I have, though.

Wonder what purpose it served to weld those pieces together in the first place?
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

What year did the factory change from oil bath to paper element?

Walter Youshock

CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Coupe

I am using a complete '58 filter on my '57 now. I, for the same reason as you, Walter did not want to butcher a dent free and rust free original. I've bid on a few on ebay, not successfully to date.
1957 Coupe de Ville
1962 Sedan de Ville (4 window)
1993 Allante
1938 Chevrolet Business Coupe (Sold)
1949 Jeepster VJ-2

Walter Youshock

Have you noticed a difference in economy or performance with the dry filter?
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Coupe

I really can't comment. I made the change early on, less than 200 miles after I rebuilt the engine. I had taken the air cleaner off and looked down the carb's throat and some of the media was caught on the butterflies. I happened to have  a '58 air cleaner land made the switch.

At that time the hood springs were a little weak and did not want to lift thje hood all the way up. It was difficult to get the original air cleaner off the engine without spilling some oil. By the way if anyone needs new hood springs check out Pontiacs Parts in California, reasonably priced and identical to what I had.
1957 Coupe de Ville
1962 Sedan de Ville (4 window)
1993 Allante
1938 Chevrolet Business Coupe (Sold)
1949 Jeepster VJ-2

D.Yaros

Quote from: Jack McClow CLC #15840 on May 27, 2009, 06:46:17 PM
Has anyone found a paper filter element that will fit into a 1957 air cleaner unit?  If so, is it okay to start using a paper filter in place of the oil bath system?

Jack,

Do not know how much/if any help this will be?  I converted my 55 oil bath to air.  The element that fits perfectly is a WIX 42098.

It appears 57's may be differerent?
Dave Yaros
CLC #25195
55 Coupe de Ville
92 Allante
62 Olds  

You will find me on the web @:
http://GDYNets.atwebpages.com  -Dave's Den
http://graylady.atwebpages.com -'55 CDV site
http://www.freewebs.com/jeandaveyaros  -Saved 62 (Oldsmobile) Web Site
The home of Car Collector Chronicles.  A  monthly GDYNets newsletter focusing on classic car collecting.
http://www.scribd.com/D_Yaros/

Ohio57-62Sedan

Quote from: D.Yaros on May 28, 2009, 01:17:36 PM
It appears 57's may be differerent?

57 Is the True Misfit..... It's like having a 1980 G body car....  ;D

jaxops

Quote from: Walter Youshock on May 28, 2009, 12:24:50 PM
Have you noticed a difference in economy or performance with the dry filter?

I had a poor performance experience with the dry filter.  The trick is also to get the air gap closed when the paper filter goes in.   It was nice to get that oil bath out of there, but the car didn't accelerate or idle well with it.  You probably have to retune the engine to run the dry air filter, but I decided against it and put back the oil bath.
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

Ohio57-62Sedan

I'm going to try and find a K&N filter for my Cadillac.. they use oil and work well too... :-*

Otto Skorzeny

Mark,

I don't see how the air filter could have made any difference in how your car ran. When you tune up the car, the adjustments are made with the air cleaner completely removed from the carb.

You could drive around with no air cleaner if you didn't have to worry about debris getting in. If you put an open element hot rod filter on top of your carb, the car would run fine.

If you experienced problems with a paper filter, I think the problem lies with the installation rather than with the filter itself. Somehow the airflow was restricted. The gap you speak of shouldn't matter at all other than it might let dirt or debris into thecarb. Like I said, the tune up is done with the whole throat open to the sky with no filter at all and the car runs fine.

I put a paper element in my '56 last year  and there is no detriment to the engine's performance.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Jack McClow CLC #15840

In the June issue of the chapter newsletter, '49 Times there is an article regarding a member from North Hollywood, California who figured out a way to covert the oil bath air cleaner on his Series 62 sedan to use a modern paper element.  The article provides a website that promises all the details, but I cannot get the site to load, and I have tried all the possible variations.  I am hoping that maybe somebody who reads this message will know how to get to that site and will be able to provide a link for me to use.

Thanks for all the help everyone has given so far,

Jack.

Jeff Maltby 4194

Quote from: Ohio57-62Sedan on May 28, 2009, 04:47:39 PM
I'm going to try and find a K&N filter for my Cadillac.. they use oil and work well too... :-*

http://www.nicoclub.com/articles.php?id=180100
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500