News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

56 Cadillac Trim Replacement

Started by jaxops, May 30, 2009, 07:33:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaxops

Any tips on the right way to replace the upper trim moulding on the RH front door?  It looks like you have to remove the interior trim panel screws, and then the door skin (door handles, and armrest too) to get the interior panel off to remove the upper moulding.  Any ideas? or is there no better way than disassembling the entire door?  Cadillac sure built them well.

Also- at some point I need to replace the trunk-to-quarter panel trim moulding that goes around the top of the trunk under the rear window, and around to connect to the lower quarter window trim.  Do you go in through the trunk or does one have to remove the rear seat, or can they be popped out carefully by lifting the trim out?  I forget if they are bolted in or popped in with fasteners.

I have to do all of this after the restoration because I just now got the replacement pieces in.  My window trim and trunk trim pieces had been left on the car when it was sand-blasted by the first "resto" "barbarian-horde"  place I had it at, and these pieces were damaged. 

Thanx!
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

jaxops

Lou,

Thanks... it's never just a simple bolt-out/bolt-in is it?  As I said- too well constructed!!  Thanks for the info.  I will do the door shortly but I have to wait on the trunk trim since the parts I received on Ebay don't fit the limousine model 75.  I think that this winter I will get them off and have them rechromed instead of fooling around trying to find parts for a commercial body car.  At least that way I will KNOW the parts are correct!!
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

jeff1956

that peice may be polished stainless...on my 56 60s i believe that is what they are...if its not damaged badly you might be able to have it repolished and buffed by a professional.  not sure on a 75 though....they sure look like polished stainless to me.

jeff