News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1959 Cadillac Turn Signal Problem HELP!!!!!

Started by Vsixteen, June 01, 2009, 01:24:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vsixteen

Hi
I am almost done putting my 59 Cad back together and I can't get the front turn signals to flash. The rears are working, but the front ones and the turn indicator in the gauge cluster are not working. The park lights do work. The car does not have fog lights.

Any ideas? I have everything connected back together as far as I can tell.

Thanks
Steve
1958 Coupe De Ville
1958 Sedan De Ville
1958 Convertible
1959 Convertible CLC Senior & AACA Senior

J. Gomez

Steve,

What is the rate of flashing, normal or extremely fast?

Since the rear harness goes directly onto the directional switch connector, if the flasher is operational the rear lights will work.

Somehow the front flashing circuit is not terminating at the correct front lights wires Dark Blue “Right” and Light Blue “Left”. Also these two wires extend to the instrument cluster indicators sockets, while the “Black” wires from them goes to the Flasher unit.

If the instrument panel was removed a possible cause would be the instrument cluster connectors “Left and Right” could be reverse or inverter. Not knowing the ’59 layout not sure if these connectors have a guide that just goes in one way.

The Left side should have pin 1=Light green, pin 6=Gray, the right side pin 1=Pink/Blk, pin 6=Brown.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Vsixteen

Hi Jose
The flashing rate is normal, I'll check the wires tonight, I may have them backwards at the cluster.
Thanks
Steve
1958 Coupe De Ville
1958 Sedan De Ville
1958 Convertible

Vsixteen

Now its getting complicated, the front signal lights are still not working, but now the inside indicators flash at the same time and the rear is working properly.
I am stumped a bit here. Any ideas??
1958 Coupe De Ville
1958 Sedan De Ville
1958 Convertible

J. Gomez

Steve,

I would have to disagree, you are making progress..!

Now the fun begins..!

If you do not have a complete wiring diagram you could download a copy from this link
http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/tOCMP/wiring/5765wiring%20diagrams/cadillacindex.htm

If you follow the two leads for the front harness the Dark and Light “Blue” wires are splice at the main junction box. One path goes to the signal switch while the others go to the front lights.

Since you now have the instrument panel lights working, that would isolate the Turn signal light switch, and the wiring up to the main junction box. Again hoping the wiring is done according to the schematic.

Make sure the bulbs are working, these are dual filament. Check each of the light sockets with a test probe light (if you have one available) with the turn signal active, if no power, then check the harness connectors.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

jeff1956

I had this same problem when I installed the wrong taillight bulbs into my 56.  the instrument panel lights would illuminate/flash at the same time...rears would work correctly, however, my front lights would also work correctly.  Not sure, but could possibly be you have the wrong number bulb installed?  Just a thought....

Jeff