News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1958 Cadillac 4 barrel Carburetor Linkage Question

Started by 57Fordman, June 02, 2009, 02:39:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

57Fordman

Is there supposed to be any sort of spring applying tension hooked up to the carburetor linkage?  I have one on my 58 but don't recall how it is supposed to be hooked up.  When I first start my car the engine roars to life and about 1 second later it goes to a normal idle.  Occasionally when stopping at a traffic signal the engine continues to run at high RPM and I have to just get on the brakes hard in order to stop.  An engine photo of the correct set-up would be nice.  You could send it to jblodg3981@aol.com if you have one.

Thanks, Jim Blodgett
Maple Valley, WA
Jim Blodgett
Maple Valley, WA
CLC #6405
1958 Sedan Deville Senior Car

paul

Yes there should be a throttle spring that runs from the linkage arm to a small tab on the waterpump thermostat housing. You should get a spring rigged up at least in that direction for safty sake that throttle could get stuck wide open when you least expect or want it to.

35-709

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Misfit

Not sure if a '58 uses the vacuum/spring loaded dashpot on the firewall or not. This is used to cushion the throttle return when/if you have to come off of the accelerator pedal too quickly. It prevents stalling.

MisFit