News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

56 u-joint ?

Started by jeff1956, June 02, 2009, 06:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeff1956

heres a question for you mid fifties guys.  after owning the car for nearly ten years the u-joints need to be replaced on my 56 60s(not sure if or when they were last done).  are trhe front and rear u-joints the same or are they different?  parts store shows two different u-joints available, but not sure what i need. i think the second one listed is for a commercial 75 &86 series cars.  if it helps i purchased (2) 2-3011 u-joints for it.  i want to make sure they are the same bc if not ill have to order the other one tomorrow in order to have it by friday when the car goes to the shop.

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Jeff,

They are different. The Cad part #'s are: Front 1463548; Rear 1463546

John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

jeff1956

Thanks John!

Looks like I have 2 u-joints for the front position.  The rear one is special order, and looks like I won't be able to get it for a week, which puts a damper on my car show plans for the weekend. Unless, I manage to find one before then.....

Jeff

Misfit

Why not change the forward two, enjoy showing off and then just drop the shaft to replace the rear joint. You won't have to completely remove it the second time around.

Unless it's going to take a pusher and receiver cup to press the caps out. Then.......well.

Enjoy the show !!!

MisFit

Otto Skorzeny

Yes Mike. When I did my '56, they came right out
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

jeff1956

i found the rear one and ill have it by thursday...but i had to pay 11 bucks to get it so quickly...price difference is amazing...front was 10.00 each...rear 54.00!! oh well, all part of the game.

jeff

jeff1956

got the car back from the shop today and it wasnt u joints...it was worse...the whole rearend was loose under the car....i was told probably the only thing holding everything in place was the sheer weight of the car...i was hearing the rearend move slightly under the car....were taking it on a roadtrip tomorrow and im very glad i had it looked at today.

jeff