News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Rattling Spokes...

Started by Rick Biarritz, June 06, 2009, 01:49:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Biarritz

I've got some seriously annoying rattling coming from the spokes on my 83 Eldorado.  I hear this is very common.  Is there any way to fix it?  Thanks, guys.

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Rick,
First you take the hub cap off. Looking at the reverse side you should see the screws or bolts that hold on the center portion.  Take th center cap off and you should see the (screws, nuts, bolts) spoke retainers.  Tighten these as required to eliminate the rattles.
Greg
PS If you have real wires and they are rattling, you have problems.
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Rick Biarritz

I have Cadillac spokes.  Are those "real wires" or something else?  Thanks.

Rick,
Are they hub caps that come off the wheels?
Greg
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

Rick Biarritz

Quote from: "Cadillac Kid"  Greg Surfas 15364 on June 06, 2009, 04:12:33 PM
Rick,
Are they hub caps that come off the wheels?
Greg

I've not removed them, but they look like hubcaps with spokes in them.

Take them off and tighten the spokes up.
Greg
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

grinch

I had a set on my '89 that some idiot didn't bother screwing the center locking nuts down and they were just loose in there making that rattling sound.  I'm amazed that they didn't fall right off while driving. 
Peter Mason CLC #24665
Charlotte, NC
1968 Deville Convertible in progress
1989 Sedan DeVille

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

It's not the spokes.

The hubcaps depend on a flange that's secured by three special lug nuts to the wheel. 
It will move around and rattle if the center nut on the hib cap is not screwed down tightly.

The flange (don't know the proper name) is purposely alittle loose to give you the
opportunity to thread the hold down screw through the hubcap into it and tighten it
up.  This usually required a special tool to do -- kinda like an anti-theft device.

My wife once had a FWD Toronado (same design) with this equipment.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

76eldo

This guy may not know that you have to take out the center of the cap, and there is a tool (key) to remove the special nut (lock) and then the hubcaps just pull right off.

There may be some loose or broken spokes.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Guidematic

Many of these caps have spokes that cannot be tightened. But you can stop the noise. A small amount of RTV silicone placed at the base of the spoke can often stop the noise. Also, they can rub on the rim making a clacking noise. This is a bit more difficult to stop. make sure the cap is tight, anf if it is, remove it and wrap the circumference of the cap with electrical tape. Go around a few times.

These caps can be a nuisance. Both for noise and cleaning. Two reasons why I really don't care for them.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69

collector

I had an 83 and they did that as well BRAND NEW. There are two different noises. One if its a clanking then the center locking cap needs to be shimmed a little on the bolt side made with a o-ring. If its the spoke then you have to take the hub cap apart and place small rubber cushions on the edges of the cap. I found that just doing it to the center cap part worked. Silicon works well too but you have to take off the center cap and apply the silicon from the back side. That is attached with If I remember four hex head screws. Make sure you do it with the hub cap facing up so the spokes dont fall out. I learned the hard way.  These tips will solve your issues.

customcars

if you have to use a flexible bonding material. silicon is not really the best choice and over time will most likely keep you busy re-applying the material as it is a sealant .....Sika makes a windshield urethane 220 is what you want as it is primer-less ASAP requires a primer....or you can get Marine tex 5200, both would work well and stay flexible while holding fast...sealants are not really good for bonding and that is what you are doing...just do yourself a favor and use disposable gloves as is also dose not come off so good...shimming and tightening are the right way.....if after tightening the rattles are gone you can take them back off and apply a "small"drop of Loctite this will keep it from coming loose again ...ken