News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1979 Cadillac Red Leather

Started by DinoBob, June 10, 2009, 12:34:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoBob

My '79 CDV has a rip in the center panel of the rear seat cushion (caused by a comb in my pocket 25 years ago when I was 15). I would love to find a match for this leather without buying a whole hide.

Can someone give me the name of the color for this leather? Any sources for scraps/remnants? Maybe a longshot?
Bob Belloff

The Tassie Devil(le)

With the cost of repairing Leather these days, I can see why it took you so long to save up to be able to pay for it. ;)

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

DinoBob

I now no longer need a comb so it's about time.  ;)

In all seriousness, though, my mom bought this car new in may of 1979. I rode home from the delaership in the back seat and still remember sitting in a grey Fleetwood in the showroom. 54,000 miles later, it has been largely unused since about 1989 or so. It is in good shape but needs a little paint work to fix an earlier bad repaint on the quarter, and a few trim pieces have seen better days. It's always been garaged, though, so the car is still very nice. 
Bob Belloff

collector

Those seats are in the junk yard and they sold so many of them you can find that leather in a Pick your Part junk yard every day of the week. That leather is the same red they used from 77-91. I must see 30 or more in each junk yard on a daily basis. Cut the center section of the rear seat bottom out and have it sewn in.

DinoBob

They used the same color leather all those years? Wow...well, that is worth considering. Thanks.

But it is tough these days to get what you want from a boneyard. They make you feel like a mook for asking for something so specific.
Bob Belloff

RobW

Collector maybe you could grab DinoBob a piece when you see it?
Rob Wirsing

DinoBob

Man o man. I would appreciate that.
Bob Belloff

collector

If I go. I pretty much have gotten everything I need. I always am upgrading when I find better. See in California we have 3 junk yard. Pick your parts, Pick a Part and Ecology. They bring in cars on a daily basis. You pay a few dollars go in and there are about 200 cars in each lot and you get what you want. They each have about 5 locations in and around the Los Angeles area. I used to be there every single day. I moved to Palm Springs and my closest is Riverside about an 40 minute drive. I havent needed anything in a few months but Im telling you, for those who need parts its a dream. Where do you think these guys get the parts to sell on Ebay. Most of them if you notice come from out here. The interirors are like new (except for the drivers seats) when I go Ill get you some leather. My girl friend had an 88 Seville. Here front seat was rags, I found a perfect passenger seat and she had it put in now it looks like the car has never been sat in. I also had a friend from Washington fly in to SOCAL and he went junk yarding. Man he found parts for all his cars. Flights are so cheap its worth a flight out if you ever need parts. Dash pads, door panels, carpets, steering wheels, RUST FREE parts original exhausts you name it the cars out here are just pulled for emissions problems, usually nothing more. Sometimes an accident but for the most part mechanical issues.

DinoBob

I do appreciate that. But I dropped the car off today with a trim shop. I am getting the leather replaced in that spot, a couple of other small repairs, and some re-dying of some spots as well. Also a headliner and sunvisors.

Thanks. And if you come across a right rear armrest assembly for a '79 CVD in red, I need it.

You see, here on the East Coast, you can not go in the yard and pick your own parts anymore. So unless you are asking for a lucrative part, or one that is on the shelf, good luck getting any cooperation. Usually you get a funny look and then a "nahhhh, I don't have that".
Bob Belloff