News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

re dying white leather 75 Eldo

Started by Doug Spingelt, June 10, 2009, 06:53:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Spingelt

Has anyone attempted to re-dye leather seats?  I have white seats in my 75 Eldo convetible which are pretty good structurally, but need refreshing from years of abuse and sun.  I have been quoted about 400.00 to make them "shine." and I am tempted, but from what I have read, I could possibly do it in an afternoon for under $50.00 myself.  I am concerned there may be more artistry to this than I am crediting.  My plan is to clean, sand to even out coat, apply color, and seal... 

Thoughts?  ideas?  thanks!  --  Doug
Doug Spingelt

collector

Do not attempt to allow anyone to dye the seats unless they use SEM SURE COAT. It comes in a formula pac color for the Cadillac white 1502 I think is the formula but ask at your local autobody paint supply store. It is water based and can be applied with a phone brush but you really should use a spray gun. It must be preped with the entire system that they sell. Make sure your leather isnt dry and cracked or your waisting your time. If the leather is soft and in good condition then proceed. Take the seats out and take them somewhere that the wind doesnt carry the spray all over everything. Tape off or remove anything that you dont want sprayed and follow the instructions carefully. The dye system shouldnt cost you but about 125.00 and once dry will not crack or peel or come off with any type of solvent. It basically is what they are using to dye the new leathers with. If you use anything other than this it will feel like sand paper, crack within a couple of sittings (maybe even the first sitting) and change the complete look and feel of the leather. The SEM Sure Coat doesnt change anything you will never be able to tell the seats were ever touched. Trust me those companies use lacquer based dyes and they CRACK and most of all dry out the leather. BTW it dries in about just about as fast as you apply it.

JerRita

In 1995 when I first got my 73 Eldo conv I dyed the seats with that Sem product They were white and I used what they called "parchment" kind of eggshell color Any way they held up very well I need to get some stiching done now but the seats still look good At the time it cost me about $50 and I did it in an afternoon with several foam brushes JeRita
Jerry and Rita Trapani #15725 Caddymaniacs

collector

Then you used the Sure coat which comes in pints, quarts or gallons sizes and yes you can brush it on. The color SEM uses is called Super White and it is made specifically for Cadillac white interior, an off white, egg shell color. If you used the spray can that is a lacquer base and it will dry out your leather and crack, but since you used a brush I am assuming you used the Sure Coat and it can be applied with a foam brush. As long as you are not doing a color change you can use the brush but it can become heavy and you can loose the grain. Spraying it with a gun keeps the pours in tact. The Super white spray is EXCELLENT for the door panels and the sides of the seats or any vinyl parts but like I said the leather can not except the spray only the SureCoat and it is the exact color as the Super White in the cans. You will be very happy with the results!

Doug Spingelt

This is great and I am excited to give it a try.  I am going to replace the carpet and dye the seats at the sme time I think while it is all out.  I have avoided taking the seats out as I am a little concerned about rusty bolts and reinstallation.  I am still a little tempted to see if a professional will do the surecoat as you described just to have it fool-proof..,. (Me usually being the fool)  The car is Gossimer blue with white leather and I think it will be dramatic to have new paint and seats. 

Thanks for the great advice. 
Doug Spingelt