News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

What does it take to remove the inner fender wells on my 74 Eldo?

Started by collector, June 10, 2009, 08:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

collector

I dont want to remove the fenders or hood. Can they be unbolted and slipped out or do the fenders have to come out. I want to have them power coated.

RobW

You should be able to get them out w/o removing the fenders or hood. You'll need to take off whatevere is mounted to them first and tie it up out of the way. Jack the front up as high as you can and support the car on jack stands. Remove the wheels and all the mounting bolts for the wheelhouse and you should be able to carefully angle them out.
Why powder coat? This is the same car that's all original from the museum display? Maybe just powder coat the underside and paint the tops with an original looking semi gloss black.
Rob Wirsing

collector

I think powder coating really lasts and looks fantastic, Ill have it done in Semi gloss as original. The idoits before putting it in the museum shot clear over everything. Im having to redo everything. Clear is turning yellow and has cracking and they didnt even thing to wipe off the wells before spraying. So now I have to remove the crap first so I figured let the powder coating guy bead blast it and shoot it. It will be much easier and last forever. As for the rest lacquer thinner has gotten off most of the it on the hoses and wires and I have repainted and detailed the rest. You have to be careful with the thinner not too remove the date codes on the wires and the imbossing on the hoses. I just figured it would take less time to power coat and they only charge me 50.00 each. Worth my time. 

Ok so you think removing the bolts from the hood springs that attach to the liner and all the fender bolts to the liner and the bolts from the liner to the frame and taking off all attaching items it should slide down and out ? I just do not want to screw up the alignment of the hood because the hinge is attached at the back of the liner.