News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

horn not working...

Started by Marc1960coupe, June 12, 2009, 10:10:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc1960coupe

Well, I am about to start working on my cadillac and just wanted to run it by you guys...

First off I am starting to trouble-shoot my electrical problems which include:

- my horn does not work
- my turn signals worked for a while off and on, then just stopped and are now not working at all
- wipers do not work either

These seem to be the main electrical issues which I need to fix this weekend. I know that I need more info such as if the electricity is getting to relays... if relays are even good. ect.... The only thing that I saw as of now was that one of the fuses seems to blow each time I insert it. I am pretty sure that means that there is a short some where?

I just wanted to know some past experiences you might have had with your cars.
Also anyone know a place that would sell new wiring harnesses as the car has some modifications I really don't understand... either way I will post some pics to try to figure out some of these changes as I really have limited experience with electrical.
Past:
1997 DeVille
1999 Concours

Present:
1960 Series 62 Coupe

Ohio57-62Sedan

Quote from: Marc1960coupe on June 12, 2009, 10:10:36 PM
I really have limited experience with electrical.

Take it to a shop you need to have experience to address your problems here.. or you can take a pair on needle nose pliers hit each side of the blown fuse wait and look for smoke.. Just my two pennies here..

Misfit

Quote from: Ohio57-62Sedan on June 12, 2009, 10:16:15 PM
Take it to a shop you need to have experience to address your problems here.. or you can take a pair on needle nose pliers hit each side of the blown fuse wait and look for smoke.. Just my two pennies here..

:D :D :D :D

You're sick Doc !!!

MisFit

Ohio57-62Sedan

Just an honest answer... I burned up all kinds of stuff when I was little kid... One Monza complete burnt to the ground ..Dad was not real happy about that.. in my defence someone bypassed the fuseable link with a solid wire... :D :D :D

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

As far as horn problems, there were several lenghtly discussions on this in the reent
past.  Try the "search" function and it will bring those up for you.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Guidematic

Excuse me again, but just what are you working on?

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69

Ohio57-62Sedan

I think he's working on his.. 1960 Series 62 Coupe ?? I could be wrong, Been wrong before..

Guidematic

Quote from: Ohio57-62Sedan on June 13, 2009, 12:17:58 PM
I think he's working on his.. 1960 Series 62 Coupe ?? I could be wrong, Been wrong before..

Sorry, I'm off a bit here. Should have looked at the "handle". But that is an assumption as well.

Mike

Carfreak

If you lived on the East Coast just add this feature to your car.
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

Marc1960coupe

Man you guys are harsh...

I guess me saying that I have limited experience wasn't the right way of describing my electrical skills. By saying that, I know how to trouble shoot but really don't know what the guy that owned the car before me thought when he started "fixing" the electrical on my car. between splitting wires from the alternator, and having various wires just loose I am surprised that the car hasn't caught fire yet. Thankfully I found most of the problems like split wires and relays that have gone out.

As for Carfreak's comment... I know that worked for me when I lived in CT but here in WA, peole tend to get their feelings hurt a bit more...
Past:
1997 DeVille
1999 Concours

Present:
1960 Series 62 Coupe

Ohio57-62Sedan

CF My horn is broken.. oh yeah but I live in Ohio so We just don't care to use the horn here... ROTFL....

Marc... Sorry I sound so harsh Dam people from the midwest... I know we have no class here..LOL but we know how to fix some real basket cases...
Just don't start using Household wire nuts to mend your wires..  If you do we want pictures.... ;D I've done some pretty serious wiring job's on late model Cadillac's not an easy task... thousand's of wires and endless amounts of shrink tube involved...

Marc1960coupe

hey John,

You weren't harsh... just honest.
My car is a prime example of how someone messing around with something they have no idea about could lead to problems. I am just glad I caught most of the issues before any real damage was done. I got some pics but can't find the USB chord to connect my camera to my computer. I will post the pics as soon as I find or buy the cable.
Past:
1997 DeVille
1999 Concours

Present:
1960 Series 62 Coupe

Ohio57-62Sedan

Quote from: Marc1960coupe on June 16, 2009, 01:59:05 PM
hey John,

You weren't harsh... just honest.
My car is a prime example of how someone messing around with something they have no idea about could lead to problems. I am just glad I caught most of the issues before any real damage was done. I got some pics but can't find the USB chord to connect my camera to my computer. I will post the pics as soon as I find or buy the cable.

Marc,
     I'm glad you see through my sick humor...  I don't always splane myself so good on the putter... but I seem to get my point across even if I do make some people mad... Looking foward to your pictures... Now where is that USB chord at.... ohh yeah I was using it.. umm...opps... wrong topic and board..  ;D

Guidematic

You got it, John.

Maybe I should not be as diplomatic as I am sometimes and call it like I see it. There is stuff here that really makes me bite my tongue. As a seasoned mechanic, sometimes you think you've heard it all. Sometimes.

Mike

Ohio57-62Sedan

Yeah I've seen some real humdingers here... ;D