News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Base/Clear coat?

Started by Rick Biarritz, June 14, 2009, 04:19:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Biarritz

Going to attempt some paint touch-ups.  How do I determine if my paint is base/clear or not?  The car was reapainted a few years ago. 

Porter

Try a little polishing compound, if the color comes off on the rag you have single stage paint, not BC/CC.

Porter

Walter Youshock

If it's original and before around 1987, chances are it's lacquer.  The 1990 Brougham was the last Cadillac painted in lacquer.

What year is it?
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Porter

It was a repaint a few years ago so not lacquer.

I could tell what it is just by looking at.  Any car with clearcoat has a much glossier look than single stage paint.

Rick , doesn't really matter anyway, only touch up paint - for what stone chips , etc. ? All touch up is noticeable, just get some paint on there to seal up the steel to prevent rust.

Porter  ::)